PDA

View Full Version : HELP finding fuel line quick disconnect parts!!!

ndamico
05-11-2003, 14:08
Hi,

well i'm just about done with my CAT filter install, except i've decided to remove the quick-connect fitting on top of the fuel tank and connect my CAT filter there. the plumbing will be very easy and clean, plus i can get to it.

Here is my one problem- I cand fine a replacement male and female connector that is 1/2 like the OEM. all i have been able to find is the part in 3/8.

What i have found is made my Dorman, labeled a quick-disconnect 3/8" steel body fuel line connector. part # 800-121.

these parts are for repairing fuel line, but will work great for the dmax. i can just chop the end off and put a flared fitting on it to attach to the lines from my CAT filter. the bonus with this is that it will be easy to put back to stock if i ever decided to do so, or if i ever had a problem with the filter/lines leaking.

i'm really hoping someone can point me in the right direction. i looked at buying an OEM line from GM but they want $150+ for it and it doesn't have much in the way of a metal end to lop off. it turns right into the softline.

If anyone would like to look at the bracket i've fabricated, see the link below:

http://www.wackywack.com/dmax.htm

I added a picture to the above link of what i'm looking for in 1/2"

[ 05-11-2003: Message edited by: ndamico ]</p>

jbplock
05-11-2003, 14:24
ndamico,

You could also use a length of Gates 7/16 hose on the tank sender nipple with a hose clamp and use a hose barb fitting/clamp on the filter. I replaced the QD's on mine this way except I just pushed the hose on to the steel line behind the cooler (per a-bears suggestion). I wasn't too impressed with the o-ring in the QD's. They may be good for quick assy on the production line but not for long term reliability. Click on MegaFilter in my sig for pictures)
smile.gif

ndamico
05-11-2003, 16:05
jbplock,

That doesn't sound like a bad idea, except what do i do on the end that has the female side of the QD on it? i was going to leave the OEM tube intact to keep my lines shorter. i'm presuming you mean to replace the whole soft like from the pickup to where it turns into a hard line by the fuel cooler?

thanks!

jbplock
05-11-2003, 16:32
ndamico

"i'm presuming you mean to replace the whole soft line from the pickup to where it turns into a hard line by the fuel cooler?"

Exactly! If you remove the OE line and insert your filter between the tank sender and steel line, the whole setup is completely reversible. To reach the top of the tank I cut a slot in the shield as shown in my pics. This is not ideal but workable. The other option is to drop the tank. You also need a QD tool that has a long enough collar to depress the locking tabs. The tabs are spaced at 90 deg and it takes a few tries to get the split ring tool lined up so it depresses all 4 tabs at the same. (see pics of the QD and tools).
smile.gif

[ 05-11-2003: Message edited by: jbplock ]</p>

ndamico
05-11-2003, 17:41
thanks,

now all i need to find tomorrow is a barb-filter connector...

appreciate all the help!