PDA

View Full Version : Why Mega filter Catches Air?

Bulldogger
05-10-2003, 20:43
I spoke to my father today who has a PHD in Physics and Chemistry about the problem of trapping air in the mega filter while I have no air in my OE filter and others have no trapped air in their Stanadyne or Racor filters. He feels the problem has to do with the actual Mega filter median. That being an absolute two micron that any air bubble larger than two microns will be held outside of the median to collect and merge with other bubbles that are trapped creating much larger bubbles which lead to the trapped air. This may not occur with the Stanadyne or Racor because the median material might be a slightly different composition or might not actually filter down as well, I guess the example being the OE filter claims of two micron quality and the actual testing results. For those who have no air trapped in the Mega Filter, being the minority, he feels that that filter might have an minor imperfection in manufacturing that allows a two micron bubble to pass, therefore its not trapping the air. These small amounts of air can vary depending on fuel source, quality, and additives in the fuel depending on locations such as summer and winter blends which will effect the viscosity of the fuel.I believe the stalling condition is occuring when the air pressure is greater than the vacuum to pull the fuel through the filter stopping the flow. As to a solution, I think someone like JK is going to have to look at the original filter head for that style baldwin filter to correct or figure out a way for the trapped air to be passed.
Dave

pinehill
05-10-2003, 21:51
Your Father's hypothesis might be a good one to look at if we didn't already know why the Mega traps air and the others don't. The reason is that the physical configuration of the Mega adapter and filter cartridge causes the air to be trapped. But thanks for trying to help work the problem. smile.gif

Bulldogger
05-11-2003, 07:13
Pinehill, whats the exact reason then because guys like Dmaxalli have no trapped air so whats the explanation there? and wouldn't a possible solution be on the 2" nipple to measure down to just below the internal rubber gromet on the filter, and then drill a small hole in the mounting nipple to allow that air to escape? Dave

[ 05-11-2003: Message edited by: Bulldogger ]</p>

pinehill
05-11-2003, 09:01
IMO, the differences in quantities of air collected in Magafilter installations are due to the fact that the installation of hose clamps and QD fuel line fittings at the factory are not automated operations. Some of the resulting fuel systems are "tight" and some are sloppy/leaky. There may also be different sources of fittings used in the assembly process, and, finally, some folks keep their fuel tanks topped off, and others run to near empty, which results in higher system vacuum/more air.

Drilling an air relief hole in the nipple may well "solve" the air accumulation problem, but some of us believe that preventing that air from reaching the injector pump is a good thing.

[ 05-11-2003: Message edited by: pinehill ]</p>

hoot
05-11-2003, 09:35
When I set out to add a second fuel filter, I was not following the issues associated with the Mega.

The reason I choose the Racor was I felt I could put this stuff together myself and save a few bucks with the install and a lot with replacement cartridges. Not that the Mega kit is overpriced mind you. I don't feel it is. Replacement cartridges are a bit steep though.

Anyway, I bought a fuel filter that does just that. Filters the fuel. It does nothing else.

Anybody that has REAL air in fuel problems should address that problem in stock configuration, leaving out the Mega so as not to add uncertainty.

If the Mega alerts you to an air problem, remove it. Then diagnose. Once the air issue is solved, put the Mega back on.

If the Mega continues remove air and trap it....
that's your call.

Hopefully the "factory ;) " will do the research, development, and testing before putting it to market. Let Ford use the customers as testers.

Bulldogger
05-11-2003, 10:09
Hoot, the funny thing is my OE filter never has any air in it before or after secondery filter install. I think there must be a certain amount of air that normally is assocoated in the fuel that naturally passes, and this particular set-up just holds it based on the design. In my case allowing what was there prior to re-enter shouldn't have any ill effects in longevity. Brokers trucks seem to be lasting, besides what is the average life expectancy of the injector pump?

hoot
05-11-2003, 19:02
Bulldogger,

Correct. Let's just watch this one unfold.

a64pilot
05-12-2003, 06:30
Bulldogger,
"the funny thing is my OE filter never has any air in it before or after secondery filter install. I think there must be a certain amount of air that normally is assocoated in the fuel that naturally passes, and this particular set-up just holds it based on the design. In my case allowing what was there prior to re-enter shouldn't have any ill effects in longevity. Brokers trucks seem to be lasting, besides what is the average life expectancy of the injector pump?"
I think you hit the nail on the head. I believe that the "air" was known about and has no issues if it is not allowed to collect into a big enough of a bubble to cause problems.