PDA

View Full Version : after market injectors for a duramax

MT BUICKNUT
03-29-2005, 12:04
How can you tell if a LLY has after market injectors?
Thanks Rick

Kennedy
03-29-2005, 20:29
There is no such thing as aftermarket injectors. Mod OE injectors maybe, but doubtful. There may be aftermarket nozzles in the future, but not at present...

MT BUICKNUT
03-30-2005, 06:53
The reason I was asking is there is a an 04 for sale and he claims it has different or high performance injectors installed. So what can it have in that area?
Thanks Rick

Kennedy
03-30-2005, 07:41
Modified stock injectors would be my guess. Hard to say. This could be a lot like buying the hotrod SBC with claimed 12.5:1 pistons, steel crank, roller cam, etc and later finding out that it had good flat tops and a large solid flat tappet cam with a cast crank etc. I know this is greek to a fellow 455 guy but good analogy

I'd look for verification. I would sure think that it would have been dyno tested, or should be capable of 300+ RWHP with stock programming.

Depending on the seller, you may be better off looking for an "unmolested" Duramax. The fuse has likely been lit on the Allison also. If you want to play and run with your 455, I'd suggest an LB7 Dmax at this point...

[ 03-30-2005, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: kennedy ]

Jim Brzozowski
03-30-2005, 09:48
Better listen to Kennedy. I'd pass unless you dyno it and also get balance rates checked to see what those injectors are doing now. Risky, but If he knocks off about 5 on the price, you could get new injectors installed if you just have to have that one.(Good analogy from John, if the guy doesn't know for sure what he's telling you he's got how could you know?)

MT BUICKNUT
03-30-2005, 10:07
Thanks for the info the whole deal is a little shakey, he claims 12's in the 1/4, but if you stand on it after around 3rd it shuts down. It has no guages installed, that had made me leary to start with supposed to have all that power and noway to monitor.
Kennedy I will assume you are of the 455 nature also, glad to hear it!! As the Buick community "Going fast with class"
Thanks Again Rick

MT BUICKNUT
03-30-2005, 10:14
Oh one more thing I am trying to learn as much as possible about the Duramax (my dad has an 01) I have dealt with the 85-87 Grand Nationals for performance and I am assuming that the fuel system is similar, being electronically controled. They are not like the old diesels with a rotary pump and individual lines? Or are they more like the newer fuel injected gas engines, fuel rail and fired electronically. I have used dad's 01 to pull my car to some car shows and you can't tell its back there, lots of power!!
Thanks Rick

Kennedy
03-30-2005, 10:17
Hard to beat a 455 Buick for street strip fun!

Mine is in a 74 Chev K20 mud drag truck. Haven't run it competitively since 2000 season. Rusting away...

Start with something unmolested. 12's for an LLY is out in front of the pack, and I'd be skeptical...

MT BUICKNUT
03-30-2005, 11:36
There are to many unknowns at this point. Claims to have run nos, some special turbo system, it has long chrome traction bars on the back additional bars on the front, 6" lift, transmission work. The thing looks huge. But again to many unknowns and nearly 50,000 miles, too much money too.
Thanks Rick
How do you put your own avitar on?