PDA

View Full Version : Diminishing MPG, A/C, Steering....Help

RWA II
05-10-2003, 01:00
MPG:
I have had my DMAX for about 6 months now, and from time of purchase to present my MPG has steadily dropped. When I first started driving it, I would see about 16-17. Figuring it would improve with break-in I did not worry about it too much. I have 12k on the truck now and I have only pulled once. My mileage is bouncing around 12-13 now

Oongawah
05-10-2003, 10:59
RWA II,

What tire size are you running? I know you said all stock, but two of your problems may be from increased tire size.

RWA II
05-10-2003, 12:56
The tires are Bridgestone Dueler AT's 265/75/16. I suppose the tires could be contributing to the steering column noise, but I had the tires put on the day I bought the truck so I don't how my mpg is still shrinking. Let me know

Ron

SoCalDMAX
05-12-2003, 13:27
Shrinking Mpg: you got me there - winter fuel? difference in route driven during commute? maybe some bad sensor?

Fan noise: check on passenger side under glovebox, there might be something stuck in the intake - several members had plastic shopping bags get sucked in there (one wild guess who might shop and sit on the PS...LOL)

Steering noise: sounds like a misalignment of teh steering column, or debri got in there. I'd take itto the dealer for that and the mileage issue.

Regards, Steve

Searay90
05-12-2003, 13:32
Might be time to change the fuel filter and see if your MPG improves. Also check your air filter for any restrictions or excessive dirt build up.

DURA-MAX3
05-12-2003, 19:19
Remember that your tires have changed your speed-o. your are running more miles than you think per tankful. This will make the mileage seem low...

WhiteDuramax
05-12-2003, 19:24
I have a noise coming from my truck on the passenger side under the dash, it sounds like little balls bouncing or somethin. It gets louder with more speed. It is very annoying, I have put my hand on the dash and pillar and this makes no difference. Anyone have any ideas.

56Nomad
05-12-2003, 19:40
RWA II,

Put a post-OEM 2 micron fuel filter on your truck and I'll bet
your mileage will go back up....... That has been the experience
for those of us who have done it.

RWA II
05-14-2003, 15:12
Nomad,

What kind of filter did you get? How is the install, and will I be worrying about purging the air from it all of the time. I have read about some who even stall on the new filters. Send me some link, I am game for some upgrades.

Dura-Max3,

I have had the tires corrected for using a programmer that is available through a manager friend at Firestone. I am pretty sure it did the trick, I know I match speeds with other vehicles correctly so I am assuming the MPG is fixed as well. I have had the tires on from day one though, so it should be steady if nothing else.

SoCalDMAX,

I know exactly who the cuplrate would be if I find a palstic bag. I am inclined to agree with you on the steering column problem so I will most likely break down and take it to the stealer.

RWA

billnourse
05-14-2003, 17:20
WhiteDuraMax,

Is the sound fairly quite and somewhat like popcorn popping? If so, you need to take to your dealer and have the windshield resealed. Takes about 30 minutes and the noise goes away.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bill

56Nomad
05-14-2003, 18:11
RWA II wrote:

"What kind of filter did you get? How is the install, and
will I be worrying about purging the air from it all of the
time. I have read about some who even stall on the new
filters. Send me some link, I am game for some upgrades."

RWA II,

I have installed the Racor assembly and have not had any
problems with air. Check out the photos of the install
in my signature. Mileage has improved. I have not noticed
any difference in performance. Hoot has now done the same and he
also has no problems..... except his is bigger :eek: :eek:

[ 05-14-2003: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]</p>

WhiteDuramax
05-14-2003, 19:20
bill, that is exactly what it sounds like, it is very annoying sometimes. My truck is out of regular warranty, but i got a warranty with it when i bought it. Do they put a new seal on, or put some sealer on it. Could i get some type of silicone or somethin and put on it?