PDA

View Full Version : Water and the Duramax

Burner
05-09-2003, 19:03
How much water can a Duramax go in with 265's?

Burner--------> :D

Tsckey
05-09-2003, 20:02
About a half inch more than with 245s.

TC

Lone Eagle
05-09-2003, 20:26
Good one TC! :D

Burner
05-09-2003, 21:40
Har har :rolleyes:

Really, at what deapth will the Dmax drown? What about the transmission and axels?

Burner----

[ 05-09-2003: Message edited by: Burner ]</p>

mackin
05-10-2003, 05:59
All the vents are up pretty high ..... Tranny is on top, rear axle is up by fuel fill,etc ....

I'd bet you could get to the top of tires in standing water ..... Without contaminating drivetrain .... Just don't stall .....Don't make waves ..... Hope your door seals well .....

Trudging or driving thru, I'd keep it under the frame rail, to be safe .....

All of this will result in extra maintence so beware .....

Alimax is excluded due to the gutter ram air setup ..... In his case the bottom rim bead .....

MAC :D :D :D

Joe Duffiney
05-10-2003, 09:47
I would be concerened with the NSBU switch on the side of the tranny. Just something to think about.

Burner
05-10-2003, 10:25
I asked this question to see what people thought. I really had no clue myself. We have had horrible rains here. During the downpour I pulled a galiant, Saturn and a Chevy work van out of the streets. The water was getting deeper and as I turned to leave an Ambulance tried its luck. I watched as the F-350 rear taillights went into the water. The Ferd quit just as the water went over the rear bumper. I couldn't stop myself from helping. :rolleyes: I backed my truck down the road in water deep enough to cover the tires, front and back. I could not open my door to get my chain out. The EMT listened to me and hooked the two up. By this time the water was going into the rear doors of the Ambulance. We had to travel about 50 yards in "the deep stuff" and another 100 to get to dry land. They got the van started quickly in 4 or 5 minutes. It was not until they were leaving that I noticed THAT THEY HAD A PATIENT! They said thanks and in a big blue cloud of smoke drove off.

------- Once I got to a little safer place I checked all my fluids, they were OK. I made it back to work, shut to truck down and cleaned out all of the radiators. The truck had cooled off completely so I checked everything again but it's ok. The following morning I checked everything one more time and there is no sign of water. The power steering, engine oil, and transmission all seem normal. Heck, even the alternator is working well. The crazy part is that the "paper" air filter was dry! smile.gif

------ I cannot believe that this "electronic" diesel engine and transmission is still working after all of that water! Water soo deep that the engine fan almost stops. It did make a buzzing racket before it went silent, under water.

I would not believe this had I not seen it with my own eyes. I will tip my hat to GM on this one.

Burner-----&gt; :D

------Note: The door seals work very well and do stop water. However, water coming "up" from the bottom will get into the carpet via~ screws. My carpet is wet around the boarder, the whole boarder.

[ 05-10-2003: Message edited by: Burner ]</p>

56Nomad
05-10-2003, 10:37
Burner,

Thanks for sharing.... great story smile.gif

Oongawah
05-10-2003, 11:11
Burner,

You are a blessed individual. Man, that would make a great commercial. Did you check the pumpkins? That's where we had a problem years ago when my friends and I would go rompin' at the creek.

Burner
05-10-2003, 11:58
I have not checked the pumkins, yet. The truck will be at the dealer next week. I think that the service department will change my front diff for free when they look at my gears for wear due to the "4x4" problem I have had. :mad: I will ask them to look at the rear while it's in there. ;)

Burner-----&gt; :D

--- When I took the air filter off the bottom of the box was full of water. Would it be a bad Idea to drill out the lower back section? Letting the water, dirt and bugs fall out would be nice.

[ 05-10-2003: Message edited by: Burner ]</p>

imported_
05-10-2003, 12:55
Burner,

Lots of guys have swissed cheesed the bottom of their air boxes (including me) with no ill effect. But after your story, maybe a snorkel is in order!!

I have had my Land Cruiser totally submergeed except for the snorkel and the top of the steering wheel. (over 5' of water) I little scary but fun to see.

Inspector
05-10-2003, 13:03
Truley a good samaritan is blessed.
Denny

mackin
05-10-2003, 13:33
Nice save ..... You are a good Samaritan .....

Drilling some holes in the bottom of the Airbox will drain the water and not hurt .... I'm sure the water was from all the rain ....

Your Differentials should be fine as the vents are up high ..... If they were to be contaminated you would have a bad seal some where .... Check for "Milky" gray condition .....

In my 88 the vent was right on top of the rear differential .. I would always get contamination ....

MAC

Tsckey
05-10-2003, 19:09
You Da Man, Burner! I love to hear that kind of stuff.

TC