PDA

View Full Version : "ticking" or not?

torque
08-13-2003, 20:47
Help! I went back and read the threads about the infamous "ticking". I'm not totally convinced that I have what GM's bulletin, and the stealer, say I have.
I never had any noise until almost 20K miles. I had just attended this year's Rendezvous and was touring Glacier Nat'l Park. I pulled out of the park and a F**d was tailgating me. So, naturally I nailed it and left him in a cloud of black stuff. That's when it started. And, yes, I was running the "Edge".
I was convinced I blew a lifter, that's what it sounds like. It has tormented me for the last 7 weeks and 8400 miles while I was touring Canada and Alaska. I just got back and now the stealer is tormenting me.
It originally "clacked" and has always been in time with the RPM. Lately, it's been more muted. But, I still can hear it with the windows rolled up and at higher than 1500 RPMs.
When it first started, it sounded like it was on the passenger side. Listening at the wheel wells it still does. I've always used Delo 400 (every 3333 miles). New oil doesn't change the noise.
I sure would appreciate hearing some unbaised opinions!

'02 GMC 4X4 ext. cab sht. bed.

Lonewolf867
08-13-2003, 20:55
I have a ticking sound on the drivers side at idle and initial acceleration.
I need to get the stealer to take a look at it..

Mike

dmaxalliTech
08-13-2003, 21:54
have them hook up the tech-2 and cancel cyls and see if it goes away or changes pitch at all. also have em check the balance and flow rates to be sure.. fuel knock can be loud sometimes..

conradv
08-13-2003, 22:48
Hmmm... Now this is interesting.

I researched buying a Duramax for over a year before I got my '03 last November.

I have 25,000 miles on it, and know what it sounds like when I get it over 2500 rpms & the pre-ignition is disabled.

Lately I have been able to hear/feel a different kind of sound - when I get to about 1800 rpms under a load (the last I had was a yard of sand in the back) I hear a lower pitched, rumbling sound coming from the passenger side that is similar, but not exactly like the pre-ignition sound. It is nearly the same though.

I can also make it do it with no load some times.

Any thoughts?

torque
08-14-2003, 12:17
conradv:
I was convinced that mine was a hydraulic lifter, that's how mine sounds. I can't help with a "rumble". Did you try the search function?

BlueOx03
08-14-2003, 20:18
I had it, It ticked at idle. I was told not only by the dealer but by a couple of diesel mechanics I know that it was a normal sound from the injection pump. Now the thing runs quiet as a Seawolf, til I shut it off and the belt comes to a screeching halt.

TJ

ChevysRus
08-14-2003, 21:38
Well since half the country is in the dark, let me try to prove I am as well.....

The "rumble" could be the clutch fan kicking on if the temps outside were hot when you were driving.

The "Tick" has best been described like a typewriter with a hunt and peck user LOL Most noticed when sitting still at idle in an enclosed area like an underpass or when next to a
Soundwall and stopped in traffic.

The first time I heard it, to me it sounded like when you cut a car off and you get that metal tinking sound as the exhaust cools. If yours sounds like any of this it is probably the famous or infamous "tick". If not it is probably something else.

Hope it's nothing major.

Good Luck

conradv
08-15-2003, 00:47
Thanks for the replies.

I heard my first "tick" when I picked her up at the dealer. Like I heard before, if the Duramax wasn't so quiet, we never would have heard it... I have grown to like my ticking.

I've heard the fan start up, during pulling, and when it was hot out, and it sounds like a hurracane. so it's not that.

The first time I heard the pilot injection shut off at about 2500 rpm I just about hit the brake, but then thought "hey, it's not even as loud as my younger brother's PSD"

The sound I hear is somewhat in between. It's not the fan, not the ticking, not the pilot injection shutting off.

Well maybe it's about 1/2 as loud as the pilot injection shutting off, but I never heard it before, and believe me, I've been listening to ANY sound this baby puts out, as it's the first NEW truck I've ever had....

Tray B
08-15-2003, 07:55
Originally posted by ChevysRus:
The "Tick" has best been described like a typewriter with a hunt and peck user LOL Most noticed when sitting still at idle in an enclosed area like an underpass or when next to a
Soundwall and stopped in traffic.Thats EXACTLY what the symptoms/sounds of my truck are! What is the tick? How can I fix it? Is it hurting anything?

Thanks!

imported_
08-15-2003, 09:34
Originally posted by ChevysRus:

Soundwall and stopped in traffic.

My 2003 Dmax with 600mi started to tick as you described. But I've also noticed that it comes and goes :rolleyes: It's kinda funny as I expected it to happen anyway. :eek:

britannic
08-15-2003, 10:03
Originally posted by Tray B:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ChevysRus:
Soundwall and stopped in traffic.Thats EXACTLY what the symptoms/sounds of my truck are! What is the tick? How can I fix it? Is it hurting anything?

Thanks! </font>[/QUOTE]Nothing to worry about, GM says the sound likely emanates from the oil galleries as high pressure oil is sprayed at supersonic speeds. Apparently they're researching ways to stop in future engines.