PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy_120 Stinger Impressions

DmaxCC6spd
05-05-2003, 13:29
How was the install? Worth the expense? How is the power? Details, please. There hasn't been much said about the Stinger kit. I'm waiting for the latest Edge offering before I decide between Edge or Banks.

Cowboy_120
05-05-2003, 14:52
Hey DMAX. Unfortunately my truck decided to blow a fuel hose going to the #2 injector about 2 hours before we were supposed to leave for Kentucky on Thursday. So I ended up with a rental minivan, which was full of people and luggage so i couldnt even bring the system back with me. I did open all the boxes when I was down there, and it looks like a very professionally done system. The wiring harness looks as good as stock if not better, and the guages are top knotch. The exhaust is heavy duty, and the poished tip is beautiful. It looks like they have included all the necessary hardware, and the instructions look very complete.
The air filter is a K&N (something I didnt know before I bought it, but its good anyway).

SO.....
I am heading back to kentucky for a horse show in 2 weeks, (Just off New Circle Rd in Lexington), and I am going to sneak it back across the border in the dressing room of my trailer (for some reason, customs never checks horse trailers).
I am glad I didnt do the install down there anyway, because it does look pretty complicated, so I think I will wait until I bring it back here and do it properly and take my time.

Needless to say, the wait is agonizing. I held one of the pipes in my hand, and man are they big!

As soon as I get it done I will let you know for sure. If you have any other questions about it, let me know and I will try to recall from memory.

DmaxCC6spd
05-05-2003, 15:07
Not having any luck, are you. I'm dying for some more impressions of a Stinger kit. Those posted so far don't have much to say about the product. Also, there don't seem to be many of the kits out there. I wonder if the power per dollar factor is coming into play here. But with a Juice box one still needs to buy gauges. It seems to me the prices are comparable once you figure in the extras such as gauges and an exhaust kit. The Banks seems to be the right kit for my needs, but I want some feedback from trusted Diesel Page members.

BTW, what does Canadian law say about transporting a firearm from the states to Alaska?

Cowboy_120
05-05-2003, 17:21
Ya I agree, I dont really want a lot of off the line power, I just want towing power. The banks system does seem to be very well made. I priced out a juice and an exhuast and guages seperately, and they came pretty close to the price of the banks. I just like the idea of Banks being a company that has been in the diesel business a long time.
One thing I noticed: I have heard the juice people say that they have one main computer harness to hook into, and then the factory one hooks in behind. With the stinger system, there are 2 harnesses to hook up. I didnt get a chance to read all the instructions, so I am wondering what the second is for? any ideas?

regarding firearms, all I know is that they need to be liscenced, so I would call customs and ask them if you need a special permit to bring it through. Otherwise you may need to ship it.

ndamico
05-05-2003, 19:34
If there are any questions you have on the stinger feel free to ask. i've installed 3 so far (mine being 1 of them).

mine is a complete stinger, plus i have a predator.

the second is a friend's who just has the whole stinger system

the third is another friend's who has everything in the stinger kit minus the wastegate actuator.

everything is very well made, and banks support has done 110% for me in my opinion! if you aren't looking for the most power out of an add-on, but want good power for towing i would recommend it.

Jomar
05-05-2003, 19:45
DmaxCC6spd
To take a firearm across Canada to Alaska, you have to tell the Can. Customs you have a firearm and are going to Alaska . If they asked you why your taking it , tell them you will be camping out in the wild and would feel safer. They will take the firearm inside with you and you will have to register it and pay $35 for the license.
A little advice : Handguns, and automatic or semi-automatic weapons are strictly taboo.Don`t have your firearm loaded when you enter Can. It`s not a bad idea to have the firearm in one place and the ammo in another when intering Can.
I`ve been in and through Can. several times and at times I took a pump shotgun and other times I took a lever action 450 Marlin. You can always tell them you are going hunting in Alaska also.
I haven`t been into Can. since 911 so somethings may have changed, but this is the latest info I read in Trailer Life magazine. The bottum line is you never really know what to expect from those Custom people.

Good Luck

Jomar

Good Luck

DmaxCC6spd
05-06-2003, 06:27
Cowboy_120, I have read a copy of the instructions. The second harness is probably for the gauges or the transmission control module. I believe the boost pressure for the Banks gauge comes from the factory boost sensor. The Banks unit also ties to the TCM in order to communicate with the transmission.

Cowboy_120
05-06-2003, 07:50
Thats good to hear about the boost guage, one less hole to drill. I think I am going to take my truck to a mechanic shop to have the pyro guage installed, since I do not feel comfortable drilling into the manifold. This way, if they screw up, they can pay to have a new manifold put in.

mackin
05-08-2003, 18:14
DmaxCC6spd

Soon Edge will have what you desire .....
===============

Perhaps I'm a bit behind but I received my Banks brochure just the other day ....

Now don't get me wrong I have their Monster Exhaust and I have no complaints thus far .....

But their brochure is what gives them the bad rap .....

They Claim 73 HP 142 TQ over all ....

It's just not trust worthy ...... Like to see an independent dyno test .....

What is the deal with stock boost at 19 PSI ??? Well, known fact it's gated at 21 PSI factory .... So actual gain is only 2 PSI peak ??? Hardly worth the trouble of the install .... Ndamico what are you getting for boost numbers ??

Just wondering, if you like ,that's what's important, as always ....

MAC

ndamico
05-08-2003, 20:06
Hey Mac,

19 PSI is actually correct i believe. they are monitoring it from the OEM boost sensor, not the actuator line. you and i tap the actuator line which shows a slightly higher #. with my banks i run 24 PSI. i had it up to 30 but dialed it down. when stacked with the predator i get 26. that's on the 40HP setting...

look at the torque curve on banks' website. its pretty flat as they are about towning, not lighting up the tires... stacked with the predator and it makes it more sporty. i won't deny that they don't produce the most power, but i'm quite comfortable with it. and when i compared it to the juice, it came on at a lower RPM which is better (for me) when i'm towing..if i was just jammin' and wanted the truck to kick me in the rear with power, i'd of opted for something else...

Nick

Bulldogger
05-08-2003, 20:29
Ndamico, I've got the juice on level 2 towing about 11,000 5th wheel. My truck is making alot of low end torque from the get-go. I went through the Smokie mountains with out a single downshift and power to spare. At 65 mph the truck is running about 2100 rpm and the edge box peak torque is in the 2100-2600 rpm area which is perfect for running with the normal flow of traffic which from Virgina to Tennesse was 65-75 mph. The edge box pulls real hard down low and it on takes a minute or two to hook up or remove. Dave

Cowboy_120
05-08-2003, 21:01
People are going to buy what they are going to buy. We know the juice is good, but some people like the Banks just as much. They both have thier pluses and minuses, so I think we need to stop the competition between then, and just respect each other's decisions.

mackin
05-09-2003, 04:24
Cowboy

That is correct each mod serves a purpose ..... To each their own ....

Just that Banks has a reputation of not putting out .... :eek: What they claim .... Member the early HP TQ numbers on the Monster Exhaust ??

Seems the Banks is conservative and will deliver good towing enhancements, if that's what your looking for, and you can add to it as Ndamico is apparently....

So I'm just wondering if the Stinger is what it's supposed to be out of the box ....

MAC smile.gif

Cowboy_120
05-09-2003, 05:38
I agree with you Mackin, Banks seems to have inflated their numbers a little in the past. I guess we will have to see once we get a few more out there and get them on a Dyno. Can you put a dually on the dyno? If you can, I would be willing to do it once I install the Stinger in a weeks time. I dont have any dyno experience though, so I would have to look around in my area for one.
With a dually, would the numbers differ since there was more friction and contact with the rollers? Or would the computer correct for these?