PDA

View Full Version : 11k oem air filter trash?

chevmeister
08-11-2003, 21:05
I got 11k on my 2002 original filter. today talking to my buddy we poped the hood and the filter minder was red hit the button and pshht. gonna pull it tomarrow and beat it out. may have to get a cheapie if I have to order an airbox.
the Question:
Is this normal? I had 30k on my '99' Z71 and it was still clean.

chicoc48
08-11-2003, 21:14
'meister- it's funny you should mention that. I just changed the air filter on my '02 GMC after doing that exact same thing. I couldn't believe the amount of crap that was packed in the bottom corner of the airbox. You name it- bugs, leaves, dirt- pretty much everything. I would think a pre-filter may not be a bad idea even for the stock airbox. I only had about 13 K on mine too...

FWIW

chico

Very Old Dog
08-12-2003, 04:49
I remember changing air filters on gas engines at 10k miles all the time. Even when I had my Dodge diesels, I had the K/N filters inspected at 10k and they were usually washed out with mild soap and water and re-used. What are you complaining for? You should be happy that the filter is doing it's job and that you can replace it to provide better service for your engine.

a64pilot
08-12-2003, 06:06
It's normal. Diesel engines, especially turbo charged ones pull much more air than spark ignition ones. Check out ther amount of air flow from the exhaust at idle. It's also why they benefit from such large exhaust systems.

DalDMax
08-12-2003, 06:58
Going to jump onto chevmeister's thread here and ask what's the best DRY air filter for the Dmax?

chevmeister
08-12-2003, 16:58
Anyone try to adapt to a CAT filter. I trust them more than just about anyone else.

tysmith
08-12-2003, 17:27
You mean there's a filter in there? Geez, I thought you just hit the reset button, and presto, back in business ;) .

My '01 would suck in on occasion after hard acceleration. Swiss cheesed the airbox, and it didn't suck in until about 20k miles.

Next some one will be saying this thing has a fuel filter...

Ty :D

On edit: Filters are cheap. I change my air filter spring and fall.