PDA

View Full Version : TST Comp. Box, Holy Sh.....!

GMCTRUCK
05-02-2003, 11:42
I sent my TST Powermax box back to get the free reflash to the improved version which hits a lot harder at lower rpms than my original issue box. While on the phone with Greg at TST I decided (at my own risk and against his advice)I wanted the competition reflash which basically makes level 4 equal to the 140HP level 9 on the standard Powermax and the numbers go up from there. I've gotten to level 5 and it's just school girl giddy, nuts. Going up a highway onramp with my buddy I stood on it in 4th and the tires started chattering as the boost was building. I've still got the boost tube regulator in and got up to 31lbs. I guess anything over 32 and you can loose power and are playing Jenga with your turbo. Then we hooked it up to his 03 Allison truck which has never seen a box, has stock exhaust and intake. We ran the controller wire through the window and I held the controller in my hand. Since he has no egt probe on his truck we only had boost and power level readings. He has the stock boost tube and functioning waste gate so boost was limited to what the stock setup will allow. On a long flat quiet road at level 0 (stock) the truck peaked at 21lbs boost. We then ran it 5 more times at 1 level higher each time. Level 1 alone was a big increase in power and good for 23psi. From a rolling idle and mashing it Level 3 would lightly spin the (stock 245) tires off the line and through a couple of shifts just enough where the truck was getting traction and accelerating hard but leaving faint black strips at the same time. At level 5 I saw 28psi and the truck was still chattering the tires at 50mph. I got him to boost up a powerbraker. I counted 3 shifts and the thing was just boiling the tires. After a couple hundred feet of fishtailing and no sign of finding traction he let off. The posi strips look like someone took a bucket of tar and painted them on the road. Overall the power was smooth as glass and the Allision only hiccuped on the first level 5 run we made and then seemed to "learn" and shifted great after. We did the runs in T/H 2 wheel drive and the shifts were crisp without the doggy defuel of some other boxes out there. Greg at TST told me they have noticed that newer Allisons seem stronger and are less likely to limp than the older ones. With my boost "fooler" tube TST includes with the kit his truck would have made even more boost but, we didn't have time to start unhooking everything. For a comparison I'd say my buddy's truck with my TST competion box at level 3 was at least as fast as a Hot Juice'd 03 truck of the same configuration that I've been in. in. It oughta be illegal to add power this easy. :D

[ 05-02-2003: Message edited by: GMCTRUCK ]</p>

king D
05-02-2003, 14:23
a good hp givinng box.i had a prob witht the truck surging after hard runs and also in 5th gear it never limped the tranny but you could tell it waas slipping but m tranny has had the shirt kicked out of it many many many times...jess

mackin
05-02-2003, 14:33
Jess I

Just might have to check this out since now you admit your school girl giddy ...... tongue.gif tongue.gif
Looking forward to a test ride .....What is maximum HP TQ ??

What was added exspence ??

Jess II

You've had about them all does it rip ?? Give it ta me straight ...JessI is giddy so we can't relie on him till he gets his skirt in order !!!!ROTFLMAO

MAC

[ 05-02-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

GMCTRUCK
05-02-2003, 15:07
Alright, I pulled my kilt back down. The original Powermax put 140HP, 360lbft, extra at the rear tires. You can see the Dyno charts on TST's website. This is the one I got in Feb. and the one I had when I gave Toddster a ride. TST just came out with an improved version of the original. It has the same peak increases but they did some tweaking to the program so it comes on harder at lower rpms than the original Powermax. They also have a competition version that is so new I'm the first and only customer who has one as of today according to TST. It's not advertised and only recommended for modified Allisons or clutched 6 speeds. The competition Powermax actually has a "competition" sticker on the module. They don't yet have dyno #s for this version but, told me that level 4 program is about the same as the 140hp level 9 program on the standard Powermax they've been selling and that levels 5-9 are more "extreme". The nice thing is you can buy it then choose 1 of the 9 different power levels your truck will handle and as you upgrade your drivetrain you can use the higher settings. You can probably safely tow in level 1 or even 2. This unit does seem smoother than my original without the occassional surge than King D mentioned. For fear for my clutch I've only gone as high as level 7 and it pulls so hard it's unbelievable. Mac, you're more than welcome to come up and try it out. Later, Jesse. ;)

[ 05-02-2003: Message edited by: GMCTRUCK ]</p>

king D
05-02-2003, 17:47
i dont know how new the upgrade is my unit was sent out on the 8th of last month.i like the powermax remote and built in temp protection.it has more plain out kick in the ass 0-60 than any chip i have ever set behind the wheel of.the only bad thing for me was that it is allso the worst chip i have ever stacked anything with.any stack at all and performance goes to pot.also on my tranny when i ran high settings after 70 the tranny would slip so bad that speed would hardly climb.like 70s in the 1/4 however on lower settings like torque below 5 it would run like the other chips hot juice 140 van aakeen ,ppe reflash and yes just as of today i am runniing with the devil as well.however 0-60 times were in line with these chips as well.good chip just to much for my tranny.but in 2-3 weeks i should be ready for more...jess

Diesel Dragon
05-02-2003, 19:45
For us newbies, like me

Who makes the TST powermax?
Where did you get it from?
And how much does it cost? :confused:

Thanks Diesel Dragon :cool:

king D
05-02-2003, 19:48
tst makes the powermax i think they advertise on the ppage.retail is about 849 i think...jess

AnTKoch
05-02-2003, 20:48
GMCTruck you are not the only one that has the competition TST powermax, I also have it, and I do agree it's school girl giddy. I got it from Clint at ATS. He also has it on his truck and that is part of the reason that his truck hit a 13.1 1/4 mile last weekend at 6000 feet at Bandimere Speedway. If you want to know all that Clint has on his truck check this out http://forums.atsdiesel.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=260 these are all the things he has done to his truck. Clint and I both have the Allison and I just had the Level 1 done today. Before I got the level 1 I put the tranny into limp mode on power level 4 torque level 3 now with level 1 I am not getting slipping until I hit the higher settings but I have not had much time to test it, but I will probably need the level 2 now to keep from having any slipping at the higher settings. Clint wants me to take my truck to get a dyno with just Level 1 ATS upgrade so he can put out some numbers, but I will soon be getting the level 2 to accomadate the massive amount of power from the TST competition box. After my experience so far I wouldn't consider doing this box unless you have at least the level 1 allison updrade or a manual. I previously only had standard juice to compare it to but the power seems as though it is about twice what I had before. For anyone wondering about what level 1 and level 2 upgrades do for the Allison transmission check out the ATS website at www.atsdiesel.com :D The website doesn't say anything about the TST box but if you call them I am sure they could tell you anything you need to know about either version. Adam

GMCTRUCK
05-02-2003, 22:24
AnTKoch, on the phone today TST told me for the second time that I was the first to have the competiton box other than a truck with a modded Allison truck they had been testing with. Since they work closely with ATS I assume it is ATS's truck they were talking about. I think they must have meant I was the first of the general public to have this box and perhaps didn't think of any units that might have snuck out of ATS. My truck is a 6 speed truck and I actually leave the TE mode in level 9 all the time and just play with the power modes to fine tune. The 03 Allison truck we tried it in today bobbled some shifts on the first level 5 run but, ran hard right up to the speed limiter with TE at level 9 and power mode a level 5 on its second and third runs. This was also an unabused 10k mile truck. Who knows how long the stock tranny will hold up to these levels.

GMCTRUCK
05-03-2003, 10:27
I forgot to mention that this comp. box does produce some good smoke at the higher program levels.

Jake99Z71
05-03-2003, 12:28
GMCTRUCK
When are you going to get to Level 9 te 9? I can tell you it really lites the tires threw all 5 gears. The Alli only made it to 150 degrees running for 1 hour of hard playing around. I have yet to see higher temperatures on daily driving. Been running PowerMax Comp. for 3-4 weeks now.

mackin
05-03-2003, 12:37
Anyone know claimed HP TQ numbers ??

MAC

AnTKoch
05-03-2003, 13:26
GMCTruck, sorry wasn't trying to take away from you that you were the first to have the competition box, I just wanted to let you know that I had one as well I only hooked it up last week and wasn't able to turn it up at all before I got my allison upgraded. But you are probably right about Clint being the other truck to have the competition box TST was refering to. My truck is still as you say bobbleing some shifts and I am sure to keep it from doing so, I will have to get the Level 2 done. But I will say for those interested in doing the TST Comp box, should not consider it without upgrading either their Allison or 6 speed first. As far as #'s I believe Clint plans on testing his truck on a Dyno in the very near future and possibly mine at the same time and I would be glad to post those when it happens. :D