PDA

View Full Version : Crank Sensor

Dave Masotti
10-30-2004, 17:28
Does anyone know if the crank sensor will set codes for the throttle sensor? I have a code 84 and have seen a service throttle light once. SES will come on at 55 and go off when shut down. Only affects performance while ses is on.
I also replaced the crank pulley hoping the knock i was hearing was that. Although it had turned some and does seem bad, the knock is still there till temp reaches 200. 94 6.5 Turbo

[ 10-31-2004, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: Dave Masotti ]

Dave Masotti
10-31-2004, 17:26
Really getting fed up with this thing. Seriously considering changing the 6.5 to a gas motor... Anyone know how the transmission electronics would be affecterd by this? Are there kits to make it work?

rjschoolcraft
10-31-2004, 19:10
The throttle pedal input (more appropriatly, governor lever input) is completely electronic on the 94-up GM diesels. The pedal on the floor pushes on a spring loaded rheostat (more complicated than that, but you get the idea) that varies votage output to the PCM based on position. Its called the Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) sensor in the GM books. The computer then sends signals to the Fuel Solenoid Driver (FSD) that controls fuel delivery. There is no mechanical connection between the pedal and the injection pump.

The APP has three different sensors that are compared to each other to ensure accuracy and safety. The "Service Throttle Soon" light indicates a problem with the APP. The GM manuals will help you to diagnose and trouble shoot the problem.

The knock may be injection timing. When cold, the PCM advances timing, which causes a louder than normal diesel knock. How many miles are on your truck?

It's a big job to convert one of these over to gasoline power with the electronics involved.