PDA

View Full Version : I just ordered my LLY today,Lots of info on new engine

maddog3
12-01-2003, 15:52
Hi.Everybody
I just got back from my dealer after ordering a 04 CC dura-ali 2wd.But the best part was all the new info I got on the LLY. This info is from GM Powertrain,and I have copies of it in front of me. "Two-Piece Rocker Covers"
The new two piece rocker covers ease access to the fuel rails and injectors. Previously,the rocker covers and the fuel lines had to be removed in order to reach the injectors The top piece of the new rocker cover is scalloped on the lower edge, around the point where the injectors fit into the heads. The injectors are now exposed on the engine,and can be removed with no other disassembly required.
" New Fuel System,New Injectors"
The injector tips have been rotated 35 Degrees compared to the old injectors. This points one of seven spray holes to new glow plugs,improving cold start performance
The new injectors do not require a separate sleeve for installation in the head.The new injectors now install directly into the head.
The high pressure and return lines have been redesigned are now routed outside of the heads.This routing eases access if the lines require service.It also keeps fuel out of the heads and crankcase and prevents oil comtamination in the event of a leak.

Also, Improved Water Pump,New Cooling Fan Ratio, Improved E60 ECM. Revised Air Induction with Resonator, Cooled Exaust Gas Recirculation, Revised Oil Pressure Sensor, Catalytic Converter, Variable Geometry Turbo,New Fast Heating Glow Plugs.
I have additional info on each of the above that I did not explain fully. I was going to,but I have finger cramps from being such a lousy typist.
And last but not least 310 HP,580 foot pounds of torque.ONLY on the auto.
This is my first post and first day as a new member. I hope you excuse any mistakes in grammar. If you have any questions I will try and help. Thanks,Mark

afp
12-01-2003, 19:08
Thanks for the update. Keep us posted as to how your truck runs.

Blaine

D-MAX
12-01-2003, 19:20
Welcome ............ Thats good news, can you fax me all the Info??? to 281-553-1530, I sure would like to read it, smile.gif Thanks Rob.

Chevy Ryan
12-02-2003, 08:44
I would also love to see that info by fax. Please forward to Ryan Robertson at (250) 992-6334. Thanks so much.

sonofagun
12-02-2003, 13:49
maddog,

Welcome to the world of DMAX and TDP. You're gona love it. Good luck with the new truck and thanks for the updated info.

Bob

dmaxalliTech
12-03-2003, 17:28
I have pics of an LLY engine in a 04 truck, that I took myself. Neeto :D
Man its good to know people that know people :D

Brayden
12-03-2003, 17:56
Ok.. So how does one tell their dealer that they want an LLY, when said dealer doesn't know it exists? Will checking the PDN option get me the LLY?

Thanks in advance,

Brayden

stutzismydog
12-04-2003, 20:57
I was hoping for a higher HP rating now that Ford and Dodge have 325 HP, a little disappointing.

fivenite
12-04-2003, 21:23
My 04 is coming with LLY engine,delivery is in mid January.

maddog3
12-05-2003, 02:47
Hey Rob and Ryan,
I dont have a fax at home but I faxed you guys that info when I was at work the other day.
Hope you got it.
Mark

maddog3
12-05-2003, 03:00
Brayden,
My dealer told me that even though they dont have the new engine code in the order book you would be getting the new engine because they have halted production on the LB7.
Production on the LLY begins Jan.1,so if you place your order now, you would be getting the LLY.
Mark

VA_Dmax
12-05-2003, 03:09
If the new power figures are for the auto only, will the 6-speed still get the LB7 or will they just cut the power through the computer for the motor. Know what I mean? Just seeing if the 6 speed will still get all the improvements, but just have the same power figures as the LB7.

Colorado Kid
12-05-2003, 08:57
I just read a press release that says exactly that . . . the Automatic will get 310 HP @ 3100 RPM and 590 lb-ft @ 1600 RPM. To the Variable Geometry Turbo, EGR, Cat and Fuel Injection System revisions we all knew about add closed crankcase venting on the list of changes.

The article says the manual transmission trucks get all the same revisions, but carry over the earlier (300HP, 530 Tq) ratings.

Bobcat698
12-05-2003, 09:58
Originally posted by Colorado Kid:
I just read a press release that says exactly that . . . the Automatic will get 310 HP @ 3100 RPM and 590 lb-ft @ 1600 RPM. To the Variable Geometry Turbo, EGR, Cat and Fuel Injection System revisions we all knew about add closed crankcase venting on the list of changes.

The article says the manual transmission trucks get all the same revisions, but carry over the earlier (300HP, 530 Tq) ratings. Did you have typos in your torque numbers Colorado kid? The original poster said 580 lb-ft of torque and the original numbers were 300HP 520 tq..

Just curious....

Garrett

77TransAm
12-05-2003, 11:45
Nope, he's got it right. I read an official press release on GM's website today that has the same numbers (looks like the same press release, in fact). It IS interesting, because that is even a bit higher than the confidential numbers that were floating around for the last few months.

Colorado Kid
12-05-2003, 13:40
Dag nabit! :mad:

It's all correct except the original torque . . . which as Bobcat698 observed should say 520 (Thats five hundred and TWENTY, just in case my fingers didn't do what I asked them too, again). I knew that, and you knew it too. :rolleyes:

The numbers for the "new" motor, the LLY, are 310 HP and 590 (five-ninety)lb-ft of torque.

Kinda disappointing after the Cummins "600" numbers of 325 HP and 600 lb-ft. Not that it really matters to those of us who will not be getting another truck for 9 years or so.

dmaxalliTech
12-07-2003, 05:28
ya'll are sure making a lot of stink over the additional 80-90 ft lbs. For about 800.00 you can add almost three times that to an LB7. T'aint no big deal folks, if you want higher no's on your Wheaties, go buy the Dodge

Johnny Diesel
12-07-2003, 08:21
Whew!! Thanks DmaxalyTech. I haven't had a chance to ease that statement out yet amidst the excitement. But there it is,the cold hard truth. While it is certainly nice that the engineers are expanding an already wonderful platform engine lest we forget that the same "old" 03 engines are the ones we here were raving about weeks ago. The Duramax/Ally combo will have a dedicated long cult following in early or new and revised form. Especially for those of us who have experienced ANY of the power adders/juice boxes whatever,even on their lowest settings. I personally would put anyone in the seat of my regular juice truck on level 2 or 3 and dare them to honestly say this isn't one impressive package. I am certainly glad for the updates for new purchasers but would NEVER at this point go and grab a new one or even a 600 cummins or whatever Ford eventually decides to get their 6.0 PSD right. Even a first year Duramax with the cheapest programmer or box is still the best value per dollar for power/longevity out there. If these trucks were slugs and had no aftermarket products to really expand on their power then I would be jumping up and down and running to order one. In the mean time for all new 04 owners GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY YOUR NEW TRUCKS!!

Sneaks
12-07-2003, 08:49
Even a first year Duramax with the cheapest programmer or box is still the best value per dollar for power/longevity out there. Hey, I resemble that remark!

And ain't it the truth!

finnster
12-08-2003, 07:02
Now that the numbers are out the opinions should be coming. Ineed to have a 2500 HD D/A cc LB by may. Should I order an 04 with LLY or find one now with the LB7 while there still around?

mtomac
12-08-2003, 07:53
unless the LLY can run 11's off the showroom floor I won't be trading anytime soon :D

Heartbeat Hauler
12-08-2003, 08:11
Like dmaxallitech said, you can add almost 3x that much HP with some add-ons. The thing that I would like to know is, does the Allison have better internals to handle the additional torque? I would rather have that than a few extra ponies.
JP

Johnny Diesel
12-08-2003, 08:19
finnster is that a crewcab longbox you need? Man thats a lot of truck to turn with anywhere except the interstate. I tow a 31 ft travel trailer from late March to late October and plow snow anytime it snows. I'll tell you what not many campgrounds leave open space if they can call it a "site". I have been on the edge of my seat many times with my Xcab shortbox and trailer trying to turn and manuver around trees and other campers trucks and junk in the roadway when I'm trying to get in or out. For plowing even a shortbox crew is limiting in tight residential places plus the 3 feet of plow in front and forget it. Point is man thats a lot of truck!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

finnster
12-08-2003, 09:53
Built the truck house (garage) big enough and might be getting a 5th wheel so I thought I needed the 8 foot bed.

maddog3
12-08-2003, 10:15
DmaxalliTech,
I agree with you about the power numbers,they weren't the reason I waited for the new engine.
I was a lot more excited about the redesigned injector system and other upgrades that, "I think", will result in fewer failures and also make service ability a lot easier.
I know from visting the TDP for the past year that you really know your stuff and would be really interested in your opinion on the changes that were made.
Just to let everybody know. I have owned 3 Dodge Cummins and really liked them.But after getting a chance to drive my boddy's D-max towing my bassboat on multiple occasions and reading the TDP I decided to try a GMC. I just thought the Dodge truck was too small and did not ride as good as the GMC. I think I made the right decision....We will see.
Where did you guys find that press release? I couldn't find it on the GM website.
The torque figure I saw was from a e-mail from GM Powertrain.
This is a great forum,
Thanks,
Mark