PDA

View Full Version : Brass in the tranny

DChristie
02-24-2005, 07:19
Just did a tranny service, new filter and diagnostic stuff, I found a small amount of brass in the pan, dust etc. :( (Sorry I can't quantify it better than that.) It was shifting a bit off hence the service. Anyone have any idea how much time I have to save for a rebuild? I expect a full $2400.00 project. :eek:

The truck is my daily driver and I rarely pull anything. After the service it seems to be back to normal. I think some of the brass was causing a solenoid or two to stick sometimes.

I plan on rebuild it ASAP but that is dependant on how soon I can come up with the cash.

Trannies are Voodoodoo and pfm... could last months or years or die this afternoon I know, just hoping somebody with more experience than I could ball park it for me.

Other than that is there anything I can do to increase longevity as it is?

Thanks

Don

tom.mcinerney
03-01-2005, 17:27
Fresh fluid (you just did), external filtration, no kinked fluid lines. Mine had worn the brass bushings pretty bad by 175K Mi, but my truck had done a lot of plow service.

Barry Nave
03-07-2005, 03:03
FYI
NAPA has an inline filter for the trans.Part# 1-8515 5/16 line.I installed after the coolers on return line. It's also magnetic.

GMC Hauler
03-07-2005, 05:55
Bnave95

Can you tell us more on your instalation i.e. how it went, problems encountered, where, ect. I am about to change my trans fluid and want to put a filter system on as well. I know there is a kit from permacool that Jegs sells, but haven't seen any others. Give us all the details...

Thanks.

Barry Nave
03-07-2005, 07:06
Take the trans line running from grill cooler going back to trans, this part of the hose is rubber. The filter unit is 2 1/2"x 4" round. Filter has barb ends,shorten hose 3" and double clamped on ends.
Filter gets changed when a service is done at 15-20k. Nothing to it ;) Filter housing is some type of hard plastic,heat does not affect it.
Magnetic,extra insurance :D

MTTwister
03-07-2005, 15:26
hate to be a smart a$$ - but Brass isn't magnetic. Neither is aluminium. But, it will pick up the magnetic particles that do float around.

Barry Nave
03-08-2005, 04:12
Right, the ones that do more damage and make the oil bad. The extra filtering will take care of the rest.
I like smart AS$$$$$ :D I learn more ;)

kowsoc
03-08-2005, 05:40
DChrisitie, don't fret too much! ;) Transmission shops in the past have used that "junk" that shows up in the pan to their advantage for years to do unnecessary rebuilds to make extra money. As long as there were not any bigger pieces of metal, you'll be fine. It is not uncommon to find a mix of different metals in the pan. Also a kind of thick grey "mud" (used clutch plate fibre I believe) is also common if the fluid was long overdue for a fluid change. That's the whole reason for the trans filter... to keep that debris at bay in the pan.

External filtering is also a good idea.

DChristie
03-08-2005, 08:04
Thanks Kowsoc

That's kinda what I was looking for,I know the 4l80e is a solid trans. I'm at least the second owner of this truck, I'm still chipping concrete off of the paint and chrome from the last owner. I'm guessing he worked it pretty well.
I didn't get to see the stuff they pulled out of the pan so I couldn't make an informed decision.

External filter question; How fine a micron shou I filter out? I can go to 10 micron really easy, does it need to be finer than that?

Thanks again.

Donald T.