PDA

View Full Version : Optima Battery on our new 6.6 Now

smartfix
08-08-2003, 18:52
hello all

We just change out our batterys on our 2003 duramax with yellow tops optima.. My other GM truck 2003 battery was leaking and did some damage

How many of you are using the Dry Cell batterys from optima .. I find the the Trucks electric system now
Holds better more stable and we get no line noise on our 2 meter radio ..

From steve :confused:

GBurton
08-08-2003, 23:16
Hi Steve

What do you mean by "we get no line noise on our 2 meter radio"?

I also had a factory battery that leaked and did some damage to the battery tray. The damaged battery tray was replaced for free by the dealer.

I know, picky picky but the optima batteries are not a "Dry Cell" battery. A "D" cell like you would use in a flashlight is a dry cell.

The Optima batteries are a good battery but the RC rating is less than other types of starting batteries that you could have replaced the Delco batteries with. Not a big deal if you are aware of it and don't leave your ham radio equipment turned on when the engine is not running.

FYI, my two auxiliary radio/electronics batteries are yellow top Optima's but they automatically disconnect from the vehicle electrical system 15 minutes after I shut the engine off. That way the two systems are isolated from each other when the alternator is not available for charging. Also if I happen to run the vehicle staring batteries down, I can override the automatic disconnect and use the Optima's to start the truck.

George
k7wwa

smartfix
08-09-2003, 08:12

smartfix
08-09-2003, 08:13
hello george and all today

The Dealer told me that the RC Rating was not to far of.. Do you know the rc rate. He gave me a book and it shows that the yellow tops are great for diesels

Oyes line noise you ask me.. When i was on our radio
lots of people told me there was a bad hum.. Check everything.. my friends are telling us steve what Happend you sound better now.. all i did was change out batterys. Dealer check grounds when i told him this 1st time.. Fine now

From steve
================================================== =====
Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors,
disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent
theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will
only add to the overall beauty of the post.
================================================== ====== :confused:

Kennedy
08-09-2003, 09:22
I thought the reds were what we wanted for starting and general use and yellows were deep cycle???

smartfix
08-09-2003, 11:31
Hello

I'm typing this from the short applications sheet from the yellow top

Yellow top Deep cycle batteries good for

Racing vehicles
Diesel power vehicles
Car audio app
Electric Vehicles
Heavy Duty use

The list goes on and on....But the list does state it can be used for < DIESEL POWER vehicles >

I just called batterys Plus.. Spoke to a Tech and he told us the yellow tops are great for diesels..
Bad side costs few bucks more

From steve

:confused: :eek:

oyazi
08-09-2003, 14:57
I've the redtops ~ slightly exceeds OEM capacity. Me be happy.

Kennedy
08-09-2003, 17:02
OK, now someone please dig up a spec comparison. I'm sure the yellows are fine, but I'd like to see the data sheets...

et
08-09-2003, 17:22
Optima specifications can be found here:

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/index.html

Joe.G
08-09-2003, 17:48
I saw contamination on one of my + battery posts this morning, after 2 and 1/2 years I decided to replace both batterys, do not replace just one if they are old, replace both or you could drain the new one in a short time. If the Delco batterys are leaking around the post they must be replaced or you will have acid eating up your cable and battery tray. In all my years this is the first one I have had to replace due to a post leak. As far as the dry cells go we replace them every year on our race car, we can't use a wet cell due to the accelleration spilling acid all over everthing. We use the Red Optima for racing.

smartfix
08-09-2003, 20:51
John Kennedy

Hello there

A member posted the web site for optima.. Like to get your feed back after you read over the cut sheets.. This is a great learning tool this site

From steve :confused:

[ 08-09-2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: smartfix ]

Kennedy
08-10-2003, 09:21
OK, I guess I was getting lazy and hoping someone with DSL could find a comparator table.

www.optimabatteries.com (http://www.optimabatteries.com) offers no specs that I could find, but does say this:

Exerpt from: http://www.optimabatteries.com/faq.asp

17. When should I use a Deep Cycle OPTIMA as a Starting battery?
"Deep Cycle" batteries are designed for applications that require deep, repetitive amperage drain, like trolling motors, golf carts, and electric wheelchairs, or RV house power sources. However, there are other applications, called "Heavy Cycling" or "High Cycling", when a Deep Cycle OPTIMA can successfully replace a starting battery to provide longer life and better performance.
In heavy cycling or high cycling applications, a vehicle will pull unusually high amperage levels from the starting battery due to extra accessories or limited alternator capacity. Public safety professionals, such as police, fire, and ambulance fleet managers often find that traditional starting batteries cannot provide adequate life and performance due to heavy cycling. This is an excellent opportunity to provide your customer with longer life and better performance by using an OPTIMA Deep Cycle battery in this type of application.

In any vehicle or equipment that will use the battery only for Starting, Lighting, & Ignition requirements and has a properly working alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery will perform extremely well, often providing up to two to three times longer life than conventional batteries. If the vehicle has few or no after-market accessories and uses a stock or upgraded alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery is the appropriate choice.

Remember, it is possible for the customer to have a completely discharged Yellow Top OPTIMA that will not start their engine; the advantages of the Yellow Top are that it can accept a rapid recharge and it will recover from discharge many more times.

To provide the customer the best OPTIMA solution, it is, necessary to consider both the application and the charging system before recommending the correct OPTIMA. For example, if your customer has a Ford Expedition with an after-market alarm system, which OPTIMA would you recommend? If the customer drives the car every day, the Red Top would be the correct choice, since the amperage drain will be nominal and the battery would be recharged on a daily basis. However, if the customer stores the vehicle for a long period of time with the alarm system engaged, you should recommend the OPTIMA Yellow Top, since the amperage drain over several weeks would damage a Red Top and reduce its life.
The web site posted has what I believe to be incorrect charts. I get 800 CCA and 110 RC for thered tops from: http://www.ibsa.com/www_2001/content/products/product_autosealed.asp

I also confirmed 980CA, 800 CCA, and 110 RC is on the tag of the SC-34U batteries on my rack.

This spec is comparable (actually identical) to the Interstate MTP 78 which is their top of the line listing for the Dmax.

The Marine/Deep cycle batteries only have a 12 month full and 24 month prorate warranty.

The Starting batteries have a 36 month full and 72 month prorate warranty.

The Marine units are more expensive, and better suited to being used in plow trucks and for guys (like Bassin and Motovet) who like to run their high powered stereos with the engine off.

Now someone with more battery expertise may say that the glow plug/intake heater/starter draw of the Dmax makes a deep cycle better, but from what I can tell, the Red is the choice as the voltage quickly recovers. I've had red tops in my '96 since just before the 2000 Rendezvous. When I came back, the OE Delco that I had transplanted into the S-10 had ****d acid EVERYWHERE :eek:

That said, batteries and tires to me, are a disposable commodity, and I seldom use them past 80%. I feel it is best to get rid of them BEFORE they are shot for safety factor. Ever notice how alternators and batteries seem to fail together in a fairly narrow time window? That's because the battery was weak and overworking the alternator, and vice-versa...

smartfix
08-10-2003, 14:40
Hello all

There is no wrong with this its about Choice .. In our fleet we use all yellow tops.. Up north we plow a lot. Down in south FL the heat will kill batterys fast.. Reason we like yellow tops in general.. We get real good life out of them. My people will eat in our trucks and charge batterys packs with engine off and do dum things at times.I'm just a Yellow top person <smile>

From steve smile.gif

mdrag
08-10-2003, 19:15
Sam's Club is selling Champion XLT (http://www.exide.com/products/automotive/exide_select_orbital.html) spiral wound, leak proof batteries @ $99.xx They appear to be a similar design compared to the Optima. Two sizes are offered, and the more powerful is 770 CCA/1000 CA/ 95 RC. 36 mo free relacement/108 mo pro rated. The brochure I have lists 1000 CA, 950 CA on the website specs.

http://www.exide.com/images/orbital_auto_starting.jpg

drthv8r
08-11-2003, 11:16
Sam's Club Champion XLT spiral batteries had better be better then their standard car/truck batteries. Tried several and they pretty much sucked.

Cancerman
08-12-2003, 06:29
After you guys made me paranoid, O.K. more paranoid, as I had a Delco battery in the Roadmaster self-destruct.
I went by Sam's Club yesterday to check out the Champion XLT. They only had a couple on the shelf. I asked if they had any more and was told that there was a pile of them in the back "out of date". They are discontinuing them because of lack of sales!
Am looking for Optimas now, local Autozone was out and supposed to get a new shipment in Wednesday.

Cancerman
08-12-2003, 08:34
I am now the proud owner of two 34/78 Red Top Optimas. $119.00 each at AutoZone.

smartfix
08-12-2003, 13:06
Hello Cancerman
and all

Keep us posted about you new optima.. Q for you .. Do you see any kind of change .. When you start you
car now or anything

From steve

David Proske
04-28-2004, 17:04
Decided to chime in on this thread that the stock delcos on my 2003 made it a year to the month before they both died. I noticed a little slower cranking speed a couple mornings, but thought surly the stockers were not that crappy. Sure enough the next morning she would not turn over.

I added a couple new Red Top Optimas and all is good again, I did not want to mess with warranty Delcos again if they will only last a year and run the risk of them leaking like they usually do.

On the other hand the Delco in my wifes 2001 Camaro went 4 years before it died; about a week after the ones in my truck....Go figgure....

LanduytG
04-28-2004, 18:08
The best thing Iever did was put 2 new Optima red tops in my 6.5. They do cost more but its well worth the price.

Greg

crafty
04-30-2004, 08:12
You would think that we folk up north would be harder on batteries than those of you who reside in the south. There were numerous days when I had to start the truck in - 25 c temps. My AC Delco batteries are now 3 years 4 months old and still going strong. The shortest time I have ever had a battery last is 6 years and the longest was 8 years. (this last pair were in my 6.2) Anyone have any idea why They last so long for me????
:D :D :D

txguppy
04-30-2004, 18:55
Hey Crafty, one word answer, "HEAT." Heat is one of a battery's worst enemies. In the southern latitudes we're dealing with 100+ air temps. Then, factor in engine heat, pavement radiation/saturation heat, and we have a genuine boiler room under the hood. I've burned my hands countless times just opening the hood latch of these trucks.

I just have'nt decided if those little battery blankets keep the heat out or in. :confused:

When my dad lived up in Colorado, he had batteries last in trucks, cars, ATV's, and snowmobiles over 10 years.

I personally have NOT had any luck w/ Delco batteries. They generaly last 2-3 years. I'm watching mine like a hawk these days. ;) I've even had a couple last less than 1 yr. I did not have much better luck w/ the Optima red top on my old P/U.(3.5 yrs) Was'nt worth the extra dough :(

Just my little rant,

Larry

mdrag
05-01-2004, 10:05
I recently (2 or 3 weeks ago) had an Optima Yellow Top fail to hold a charge. This battery was about 22 months old. The remaining pro-rated warranty was only worth a few bucks :( I chose a yellow top for this particular vehicle since it is a weekend, nice weather driver with an OEM alarm system...and believe it or not - ZERO aftermarket electonic add-ons other than a removable radar dectector :eek:

I replaced it with a Sam's Club spiral wound battery - now bearing the NASCAR label rather than Champion - $99, 36 months full replacement/108 month pro-rated warranty.

If I buy another Optima to use in a car or truck - it will be the red top due to the longer full replacemnt warranty - 36 months for the red top versus 12 months for the yellow top. In my situation, if I had purchased a red top to begin with and the same failure occured @ 22 months, it should have been covered under the full replacement warranty...

The purpose of my post is NOT to bad mouth Optima batteries - most seem to have a great experience with this brand. I've had similar 'bad luck' with Sear's, Interstate (conventional), Champion, AC Delco, and others. In my experience, no particular brand has stood out as a 'must buy again' or 'never again' battery.

bob
05-02-2004, 12:52
4 wheel and off road magazine just did a test on a bunch of gell cell batteries,optima included.it faired pretty well and eceeded the power ratings printed by a couple hundred amps!

motovet
05-03-2004, 10:03
I really NEEDED the yellow tops in my rig, I sure hope they hold up as advertised...so far so good. I also put a couple of blue tops in my trailer. I am using them soley on reputation... I hope they live up to it for the money.

LanduytG
05-03-2004, 16:39
motovet
With the price of oysters in the store you can afford the Optima. :D

Greg

motovet
05-04-2004, 14:31
I suppose.....but I need more cause now I want a Suncoast. How is the truck shopping going?

LanduytG
05-04-2004, 16:51
I am still looking and really just trying to decide what it is I want.

Greg

TanM998
05-05-2004, 04:19
I have a set of Red Tops in my Hummer H1 and love them. I only had a problem with one of the batteries, which was replaced under warranty and never had another problem since. I use it as a "recreational" vehicle and it doesn't get run every day, sometimes it will go several weeks.

However, I also have a yellow top in my race car (latemodel), which is the perfect use. The Yellow tops aren't the best choice for use in a "starting" circuit like for a car or truck. In the race car we use the deep cycle battery to run the ignition, coolers, and misc guages on the dash. Since we don't run a alternator, its the best choice.

When I called Optima regarding my inquires of their product before I bought the red tops, they said that the Yellow tops were not the best choice for my Hummer (i.e. starting circuit for a car / truck) and that the Red Top was the correct choice...

I guess to each is their own, I know many people with yellow / reds in their trucks and all work. Just be sure that if you put one in your Dmax truck to replace BOTH batteries with the same type (i.e. red tops OR yellow tops, not both). I have even heard some say to make sure the build date is something to watch out for (to match up) but I don't know about that one...

Scott
'85 Tan M998

motovet
05-05-2004, 09:49
I run the Yellows for my many accessories, particularly my heavily amped stereo.

Kennedy
05-06-2004, 09:54
There's been a pair of Red's uner my hood for a while now...

CntrlCalDmax
05-07-2004, 09:06
I traded the 6 month old red tops out of the 01 into the 04 before I sold the 01. I've had 4 Delcos put acid all over and It's too much work to clean up. I noticed Costco has them for $99.

Kennedy
05-08-2004, 05:55
Keep in mind, Optima reds are NOT all created equal. There is a low line and a high line.

IIRC, the good ones are 134's...