PDA

View Full Version : Rotella 5/40

germ1
08-08-2003, 07:34
I took my truck to the dealer to have the transmission serviced and oil changed. I decided to convert from Dino to Synthetic. I brought in Rotella 5/40. My service advisor stated that GM does not recomend 5/40. I know that from reading the forum, several members use 5/40 Rotella. Whats the deal??

GLEN NORMAN
08-09-2003, 23:33
I just switched my truck over to 5w-40 Rotella with 3000 miles. I used it in my 6.5 till I put amsoil in it. I like using synthetic oil it dosn't brake down as easy. I know it holds up to the oil change lenghts gm thinks is ok, they are great if you run synthetic in my mind. I liked the amsoil bypass filter set up and will run longer before oil changes with oil samples but for now it is rotella and oil changes at 5000-7500 miles for me. I know it is still shorter then gm thinks is good but it is a 35 thousand dollar truck so its cheap compared to the truck.
tongue.gif

Kennedy
08-10-2003, 09:31
I've been running Delvac 1 5w40 in my Dmax, my ATV's, my primary on the HD, and in a buddies 8.1 all year round. I have ferrographic, spectrographic, and particle count data to support the fact that with my bypass filtration, there is VERY little wear/contamination in my oil even exposed to the severe use that it is.

IMHO, Rotella has a good name/reputation, but has been far surpassed in recent years in the technology department...