PDA

View Full Version : High Idle Questions??

Tim Richardson
08-07-2003, 12:16
I am thinking about trying to install a high idle in my truck. I have read the instructions from Kennedy's website several times already, and I am having reservations.

Do I have to drill a hole through my firewall, or can I use a hole that is already there?

Is there anything other tips or gotcha's to watch out for when installing.

Better yet, anybody live around Nort Fort Worth, and would be willing to help out? I have a swimming pool and coors light on tap to offer as payment. :cool:

Thanks

Tim

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-07-2003, 12:41
Look on the firewall to the left of the brake booster, there is a 1" or so round cutout in the firewall insulation.

Best spot to drill.

Drill a 7/8" hole and get a rubber grommet for the firewall.

You will need the room as I have a Boost line, 2 EGT wires, 1 OD lockkout wire , 3 Hi-Idle wires, and 2 wires for my VA box switch.

I still got room for a few more wires.

Buy a metal hole saw and it takes less than a minute, file the sharp edges with a round file and you are done.

GMC :D

Click my pictures link and look in gauges for the location.

Sorry I can't help you personally, too far a drive ;)

Minn-kota
08-07-2003, 16:40
I like your set-up. What type of gauge pod is that and is it a full pillar 2-pod? Since I have a 2003 the tweeters are down low in that area and wondering how/what type of pod/pillar would work with that.

Also, where did you purchase the "T" for the wire loom near the firewall? Looks slick.

Tim: I ran my single wire for the high idle through the existing wire harness loom near the driver's fender. Little tight but made it work. It was only one wire so it wasn't too bad. If you are looking at adding gauges and other misc in the futre I'd do like mentioned above and drill the hole through the space provided. Now that I'm looking at adding gauges I will have to drill anyway.

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-07-2003, 18:22
Originally posted by Minn-kota:
I like your set-up. What type of gauge pod is that and is it a full pillar 2-pod? Since I have a 2003 the tweeters are down low in that area and wondering how/what type of pod/pillar would work with that.

Also, where did you purchase the "T" for the wire loom near the firewall? Looks slick.

Tim: I ran my single wire for the high idle through the existing wire harness loom near the driver's fender. Little tight but made it work. It was only one wire so it wasn't too bad. If you are looking at adding gauges and other misc in the futre I'd do like mentioned above and drill the hole through the space provided. Now that I'm looking at adding gauges I will have to drill anyway. The POD and Gauges are all Autometer. The Pod actually overlays the existing pillar trim panel. You need to open up the original pillar trim piece with a hole saw. I used a 1" hole saw, drill 3 holes over lapping 1/3 with the holes and then used a very sharp knife to cut the rest out so I has a channel.

The pod for the gauges is then overlayed and plastic rivets are used.

I painted it all one shot, with an interior vinyl dye mixed to match.

My new setup has HI Idle and OD Lockout switches with LED's mounted around the gauges, will try to post them PICS soon.

The "T" is a standard NAPA Part and is for the 3/8" split loom.

I have part numbers for everything if you need them.

GMC ;)

dmaxalliTech
08-07-2003, 20:17
Hey Tim, when you put in the high idle. Just splice the wire that you run from the pcm to the Dark green/white wire on the brake switch, BAM, done. Shoot me an email with your address and I will send you a prepared wire with the correct terminal on it for install in the pcm.. Free for you, cheap for them..er, never mind

I started out with nothing..... I have most of it left