PDA

View Full Version : Cold feet & only 40 deg outside

Gbenzx01
11-23-2003, 22:04
I found SSsmokybear's thread 08/03 abt cooling fan clutch but still not clear abt what turns it on & off?
Cranked up the other morning @ 40deg,drove 60+ mi & engine still didn't get up near 190-200 where it should be?
From the usual sound I get under heavy pulling the fan is not doing the max running light like this, but it must be running enough to keep it from warming on up?
What can be done other then hanging the welcome mat from the cabin over the grille like I did in Feb this year.
Yes I know the cold front stuff upto $200 or so but must be a better way?
No I'm not turning the ac on since it appears that this may work the reverse of what some think when the fan clutch is considered?
Would carry along a fire in a bucket on the floor but little wife don't smoke!

Thanx, Gben

Jelisfc
11-24-2003, 06:22
That's normal. Remember the cooling system is suppose to handle pulling a heavy load. When you run empty it may not get all the way to 195 on cold days.

40...try 14 this morning. I'm glad I put the cover on this weekend. ;)

Heartbeat Hauler
11-24-2003, 10:47
When I startup on a cold morning my temp guage only has to move to the first mark and I have heat. Could it be that you are getting cold feet, not because you don't have heat, but because you may have incoming cold air? For the longest time my wife complained that she was always cold on the pass. side. It wasn't until 3 days after Christmas coming back from Texas that the outside temp dropped to 21*F. My wife was driving about 70 mph on the highway and I'm in the pass seat tryin' to sleep and I'm freezin' my butt off. I realized a massive amount of cold air coming in. Took it to the dealer and there is a TSB on the blower unit to firewall gasket not installed properly from the factory. Once this was fixed all was well. Something to think about. Good luck.
JP

Onebigcanuck
11-24-2003, 12:20
A year ago, my 2003, 3500 D/A had no heat and it turns out both Thermosates had stuck open. They repalced them & I had to have them replaced again 2 weeks ago because one was stuck open again.

Gbenzx01
11-24-2003, 20:48
Thanx Guys

Jelisfc,
It may be near normal sense I never had a prob so far with getting over temp in hard pulling.
I may yet get the cold front thing(didn't come used with the bra cover) but with that setup how will one know if the thermostats are closing?
Can't find one here in the tropics & to order this time of year :( .

And Heartbeat Hauler,
If you've got heat at the first mark on the temp dial then something must be a little skew abt mine! While still under the Gens money I'll chk this one in the morning if cool enough I can tell.
Meanwhile if you be down this way in Jan & we're goin north sure would like to swap trucks for a couple weeks anyway. tongue.gif

Bigcanuck,
Do you use the bra up there too? Two thermostats?
Rekon where they may be hiding?
If I can locate the little jewels maybe that I could use the feel method to find or not some temp differential. Maybe I could just fiberglass the whole front shut & fix the hood where it will lean forward like the Kenworths do. They always seemed to keep us warm up north even in Minn at 30 or so below.
Oh yes, this thing don't even have Shutters.
I'll betcha I know someone who can fix that too.
Couple names like JK, DmaxalliTech, a64, 56nomad just for starters ;) .
Anyway I did insert some cardboard betwix ac condense & radiator (experiment) & seemed to help a small iota at least.

Thanx, Gben

Gbenzx01
11-26-2003, 20:15
Still no joy ya'll, :confused:

Wonder if Home Depots got shutters on sale?
Really need a new welcome mat, 70-75mph is a little tuff on these things. :eek:
And btw, Happy turkey & let us give thanx for all the things we haven't thanked him for before!
smile.gif
Gben

[ 11-26-2003, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Gbenzx01 ]

Onebigcanuck
11-28-2003, 12:58
Yep, I use the bra when it gets to around 0 F, today it's 29 no bra, temp is rite up there.

Yep there are 2 states, one behind the other.

BobW
11-28-2003, 22:00
Heartbeat, do you know the number of the TSB on the blower sealing. My dealer doesn't seem to know how to fix the cold.