PDA

View Full Version : steering problem

grmayer
11-22-2003, 08:21
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
03 dmax cc 4x4 with 16,500. The problem that I am having is when I am at a complete stop and my foot is on the break I have no power assist. It feels like I have manual steering. (Power steering pump is bad) The truck was in the dealer for the last 3 days. They put a new power steering pump in. ok I get the truck back I am in the service drive I can move the steering wheel all the way to the left and the right. Problem fixed???? No when the truck hits the street and I am at a complete stop it is doing the same thing. 3 service writers were no help. The mechanic that did the work has no idea what is worng. He is calling tech support on Monday.

Any help would be great

FisHn2DMax
11-22-2003, 08:58
My truck just started doing the same thing at 10k. My Brother has a 02HD and has had the problem from day one. His truck was at dealer 5 times and they changed everything, with no luck. GM told him it is normal? If you run a search here on this subject, you'll see that many, many GM trucks are having the same issue and it appears there is no easy answer. The problem stems from the power steering and the brakes sharing the same assist boost. At Idle, there just isn't enough boost assist for both brakes and steering. I noticed if I raise the RPM/Thottle, the power steering comes back.

It's frustrating! I thought I would be one of the lucky ones and not have the problem. It's really noticable when backing up a large trailer and you need to crank the wheels hard at Idle. :mad:

I'm hoping someone has found the real solution.....? :confused:

DIESEL/VETTE
11-22-2003, 10:16
MY SON'S O2 IS DOING THE SAME THING, ONLY HIS DOES IT WITH THE BRAKE ALLIED, TAKE HIS FOOT OFF THE BRAKE AND THE STEERING IS OK. 20K.

red sled
11-22-2003, 14:28
Would it be possable to put a smaller pulley on the pump to get higher RPM from the pump at an idle, but stay within reason at hwy speeds?