PDA

View Full Version : Grease

Dinkie Diesel
11-20-2003, 04:51
There are some recent posts about oils I would like some opinions about grease. This forum has some really smart cookies posting that I would like to call upon. I have been buying this supposed good grease from different manufacturers. It is a black looking, Moly type, #2. I am concerned that it may not be the best choice. I have seen a few failed roller bearings after using this stuff. I tried to determine the cause and even called the sales people to get their ideas. It appears to me that it "dries out" for lack of a better term. When I inspect the failed bearing I see what looks like a very thick paste and it no longer has the creamy texture of the new grease. I have discussed a few ideas with the salesmen such as heat, over- greasing, washing with high pressure, high-speed bearings, etc. I even tried dropping to #1 thinking that it may have more oil and stay creamy longer. I am about ready to give up on the whole "moly" grease idea in favor of the old fashioned, creamy Lubriplate meant for all-purpose automotive applications. You all got any ideas? :confused:

Trip
11-20-2003, 05:45
Our family has used Shell Super Duty #2 for years, and have gotten hundreds of thousands of miles on wheel bearings. There are many good greases out there and I think Shell is one of them.

JMPDMax
11-20-2003, 06:17
One problem that most people cause by constantly change the brands of grease is that the 'soap' base of the different greases may not be compatible with each other. I believe that different soap bases can cause some of the problems you mention. I know it can really cause a problem with trailer bearings.

Later