PDA

View Full Version : Racor/OEM fuel filter Test

george morrison
10-12-2002, 11:56
Our OEM (Manufactured by Racor for GM)fuel filter is supposedly a 2 micron beta 200 (98% efficient filtering 2 micron and larger particles. I talked with a very knowledgeable Racor engineer and he re-affirmed.
The 5 to 10 micron particle size is the most abrasive for our fuel systems, including injectors & Pumps. I have seen injectors fail at 90,000 miles as a result of abrasive wear. I would like to find out "for sure" that we do indeed have effective 2 micron filtration and offer to go half with someone on 2 fuel analysis kits from avlube.com. The person needs the ability to access the tank return line and get a sample of that fuel and a sample of their favorite fuel pump where fuel is normally purchased. This way you will learn exactly the fuel quality (Cetane index, water content and dirt level) of both your fuel source and then we will all learn how our fuel filter is functioning in terms of dirt and water removal.
I have found many cases where a manufacturer quoted "2 micron absolute" fuel filtration only to have it come back less than 50% efficient and allowing literally millions of particles per gallon through the fuel system. This will answer the question once and for all.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

[ 10-12-2002: Message edited by: george morrison ]</p>

Idle_Chatter
10-12-2002, 17:45
Getting to the fuel return line would be a hassle, even on my truck where I've got my aux tank 6-way valve spliced in with hoses and clamps, although it is clamped to my return connection up in the bed at the aux tank. I'm not sure that a capture at the nozzle versus a return from the engine would be a good comparison due to the volume of "residual" fuel in the fuel tank from other sources. Wouldn't it be easier to find a small hose barb that fits in the priming screw hole, some sterile tubing and capture some fuel from the filter drain (after a good flush) for "outside the media" and then pump some out the priming screw for a "through the media" comparison of the same sample of fuel from the filter? To ascertain 2 micron efficiency it will require absolutely clean-room capture and preparations and the shorter and sooner the samples the better the test.

george morrison
10-12-2002, 19:51
We have been using as our "before filter" a from the pump sample. We will then know what went into the tank. Return line to the tank would reveal exactly what the injectors were seeing. Plus, makes it a little simpler, easier to capture. This method has resulted in good, consistent results in other vehicles.
George

jbplock
10-13-2002, 04:13
I’m not an expert on filters, but the OEM filter doesn’t seem physically big enough to be rated at 2 microns absolute (Beta=75, 98.7% efficiency). It “looks” more like a 2 micron nominal (Beta=2, 50% efficiency) size filter (??). To maintain flow rate I thought the finer the filter, the larger the media.

Has anyone considered adding another filter/water separator before the OEM filter? I have Baldwin DAHL 100 (www.baldwinfilter.com/products/dahl.html) with 2 micron (nominal?) elements that I bought for my 98 6.5 but never got around to installing. I’m considering whether to install the DAHL on my new (3 day old) 2003 D/A. Seems like it wouldn’t hurt… Just have to find a place to fit it in (its about 12 inches tall and 6 inches wide).

[ 10-13-2002: Message edited by: jbplock ]</p>

TLA
10-13-2002, 07:22
I am adding a Racor mounted on the frame where my aux tank selector valve is located. We will see if that helps.
My return dumps into my aux tank near the top. I'lll see if I can get to it easily (is an AN connection, and I need room to get my hand in there) - if so, I'll do the test.

george morrison
10-13-2002, 08:46
Regarding doing the fuel test. GREAT! As per our discussions, I too have my doubts about this filter's capabilities, this way we will know exactly what its performance is. As I have said in previous posts, current fuel standard for cleanliness was not good for 20 year old diesel designs with 3,000 psi injectors. With our 20,000 + psi systems, any dirt getting through to the pump/injectors will spell short life. Our fuel needs to be Ultra clean, in the 14/12/10 level. Many times the diesel fuel we are purchasing is at a 22/20/18 or worse. If our filter is 50% efficient it will allow literally hundreds of millions of abrasive particles per gallon through the system..
We shall see!
George Morrison, STLE CLS
AV Lubricants Inc.
Columbus, Ohio
614-492-2000

chuntag95
10-13-2002, 09:08
George,

I posted back on the Injector Problem thread. I have ordered one kit from you along with some grease fitting covers. (Chris from Rowlett) If you want to send the second kit with my order, I will try to get it done next weekend. I think I can get the line to gravity feed, but if not the wife will have to be quick with the key. :eek: :D You can post the results on the page here if you want. I have no problems sharing data. Let me know.

What are you thoughts about pulling from the vent hole? Sound easy enough and easier than pulling the line. By the way, I just changed my filter last weekend, so it is new. I think that is the best way as it will let the most through. As a filter ages and collects gunk, it filter better because some of the passages are now blocked. It would give us the "worse case".

[ 10-13-2002: Message edited by: chuntag95 (Chris) ]</p>

Kennedy
10-13-2002, 09:49
Probably the easiest (cleanest) way would be to hook onto the large Shrader port where the dealer tests filter vacuum, and apply a small amount of PSI to the tank. This would eliminate any wear materials/byproducts generated by the fuel system, etc.

One could do the same thing at the filter out port on the filter housing.

TLA
10-13-2002, 11:08
I don't care if we split the costs - worth it to know what is going on. I will order the kits tomorrow. I have sterile, large plastic bottles (for collecting stallions for breeding). I need to fuel tomorrow or Tuesday - can I collect the sample in them and transfer when the kits arrive, or should I wait.
My e-mail: xcountryatgoosedownsdotcom
Thanks, Tom

george morrison
10-13-2002, 14:52
I have e-mailed you, hopefully it arrives; capture the samples as per the procedures outlined: double dump, using your bottles..
You will not need to order the kits; I will coordinate with you shpping, etc. via e-mail. If you think the bottles you have will ship okay, we are in business!
George Morrison

bluehwy
10-13-2002, 15:29
A physician told me that, at 2 microns, you are filtering out VIRUSES.

He is skeptical of any claim that you could use such a filter on an engine sucking fuel at the rate engines use fuel.

ChevysRus
10-13-2002, 16:06
Thanks George for taking the time and showing the interest to run this test for all our benefit.

As long as there is more than one person left on this planet we will have different opinions and so be it, makes life interesting and certainly enables us to look at the "picture" from different perspectives and make a hopefully "informed" decision.

Having people like you willing to take the next step to separate fact from friction (sorry I couldn't help the pun) is truly appreciated. I think you have you test subject, but if not or if you want to do a second test, just let me know as I would be glad to participate.

ChevysRus@hotmail.com

Thanks again

george morrison
10-13-2002, 21:13
A little over a year ago CAT switched from a 15 micron absolute to a 2 micron absolute fuel filter. Jet fuel is filtered to 1 micron! CAT found out very quickly with the intro of their Huiu engines that injectors and fuel system will NOT live with current fuels and switched immediately to the 2 micron filter to enable the engines to make it through warranty! Yes, fuel is that bad, that dirty.. As we shall see with the fuel sample analysis..
We just need to make sure we are capturing the 5 to 10 micron component. Soon, we will know!
George Morrison

TLA
10-14-2002, 11:42
George - my e-mail seemed to be off for the holiday. Try me again at xcountry@goosedowns.com. I'll be in and out all day.
Tom