PDA

View Full Version : glow plugs

pickardx6
12-17-2003, 13:18
How do you check a glow plug to see if it still works? Any advice would be appreciated. smile.gif

DmaxMaverick
12-17-2003, 16:20
Use an ohm meter or test light. All you need to do is test continuity. You could remove the plug and put power to it, and burn your fingers.

Test light--connect the hot clip to bat + and touch the probe to the spade on the plug (glow plug wire disconnected). If the light comes on, it's good. The plug's circuit is completed to ground.

Ohm meter--One probe on ground, other on spade. Continuity indicates a good plug. I'm not sure what the actual ohm reading should be, but a good plug will be darn near a dead short. If you get very little resistance, the plug is probably bad.

Ideally, you should remove the plug and check on the condition of the tip. Some will swell before they fail, which makes it a pain to remove. You may catch one that is just beginning to swell, and avoid a couple hours of swearing. If you have AC-9G's, swelling/failure is just a matter of time. The 11 and 60G's are much more durable, and I haven't heard of one swelling.

I'm sure there are other ways of doing it. I can't understand why, though.