PDA

View Full Version : interesting information on fuel filter service

midwest
11-12-2003, 19:08
I recently had an interesting conversation with a GM rep and a rep from Racor. The information I got was that Racor /Parker was the only manufacturer of the filter for the duramax,but was distributed threw GM SPO, Parker,Racor,And I believe Baldwin. According to numbers from GM SPO(service parts operation),And Racor and baseing it on the mileage from waranty claims, The number of filters sold attributes to less than 5% of the filters that should have been sold Based on A 15K service intervals. Keep in mind this is based on the mileage of waranty claims only and not the guys out of waranty by mileage(100K+ miles). This is pretty amazing statistic at even 5-10 times that.The presumed (my presumtion)direction for waranty claims based on my conversation was, that on high mileage or repeat failures was to prove record of 15k service intervals.

We all know there are some failures with good service but there seems to be an extremely higher rate of failure with poor fuel Quality.
My personal oppinion is that the duramax should have a 2 stage filtering. The stock filter primary and a 3-5 micron secondary. I install several but the trucks don't have enough miles to develop any good info. Just my oppinion what do I know :D

Kennedy
11-13-2003, 05:58
I bullied a customer with 72k into servicing his. He was told by some dummies that they didn't need to be changed for 2-3 years :rolleyes:

I also heard a story (stress STORY) of a guy who ran his filter 55k (virtually plugged) and lost his injection pump AND was denied warranty. Now I'm not sure the validity to this one, but I definitely do see an uneducated public out there that is used to the gasser side where they neglect the filters for 3years and trade off...

I've been doing mine at approx 7k or whenever I change my oil...

HD-Nate
11-13-2003, 07:33
I find his statistical information to be flawed. I know for a fact that several of us order 3,4, or a case of filters at a time to cover usage for a couple years.

I agree with John on the lack of knowledge of Diesel Fuel requirements amongst the general public. I have run into both extremes when discussing Diesels with other owners. Some do it at 3k with their oil changes and others with 30k plus have never changed, their attitude is when it starts to starve I will change it :eek:

Most conversations happen while standing at the pumps with other Diesel owners.

I change mine out every 10k along with the Allison Spin on, its too cheap of insurance not to.

letsgo
11-13-2003, 08:10
How on earth would a non diesel person know to change a fuel filter at under 15000 miles, who reads the owners manuals???, the sales people would never say this diesel isn't like a car, you cant drive it for a 100000 miles then take it in for service. Until I started reading the Diesel Page I new nothing about diesels, I would have to blame the industry for not educating the diesel purchaser, but then who wants to be a baby sitter.

oh well.

ratlover
11-13-2003, 10:46
JMO Shoulda read the manual.

I cant believe people feel that they dont even need to take resposibility for thier trucks shape by reading the manual. What can the industry do if someone is too lazy to take the time to read the manual? I'm not meaning to start anything but this whole PC, its not my fault, I dont need to take resposibility BS is starting to annoy me.

My mother works for a car dealer and was questioned about a waranty claim for a leaking trany pan and the guy could not understand why they wouldnt fix it for free. I dont know what part of "Running over a curb is not a manufacturers defect" he couldnt understand. He evidently though his car should be able to witstand it. Its the manufatures fualt it wasnt built to take the abuse afterall. :rolleyes:

Trip
11-14-2003, 05:30
"How on earth would a non diesel person know to change a fuel filter at under 15000 miles, who reads the owners manuals???..."

You gotta be kidding? Evidently $40K +/- is a drop in the bucket for you, however, it is not for me. I read that manual twice over and use its maintenance intervals as absolute maximums. Its all in what's important to you. If your truck isn't that important, and if you can afford a new truck every year, by all means, don't read the manual.

ZFMax
11-14-2003, 08:24
Did the part number of the OEM filter change?

Attempting to order 97256734, the system changed the number to 89016324.

Price is lower.

A different filter? Better perhaps?

Heartbeat Hauler
11-14-2003, 08:30
Well I think Racor is the only one making the filter ( as per a posting)and they are rebadging it for other vendors. I did find a vendor selling a FRAM (aka Racor)for 18 bucks each.
JP

Coghlin
11-14-2003, 08:43
I agree with Trip. After spending $60+ thousand Cdn$ on my truck, I read the manual front to back. A few pages a night in bed while the wife is getting ready. I researched everything and decided this was the best route. I couldn't afford to maintain my 6.5TD anymore.

ZFMax
11-14-2003, 08:52
JP, I'm aware of that, but what I'm saying is that GM has apparently changed the part number they assigned to the original equipment Racor filter they sell. I'm sure they buy them direct from Racor so I'm wondering if this is indicative of a design change.

Heartbeat Hauler
11-14-2003, 09:43
I see. Like maybe a higher capacity or a better element inside, something to that effect.
JP

ZFMax
11-14-2003, 10:00
Probably wishful thinking on my part!

But hey, it's possible.

Or do they just randomly change part numbers sometimes for no apparent reason?

gene smith
11-15-2003, 09:57
Mabe J/K and Drag will chime in on this and cut one of each open to see if there is any diff, I have one of them oil drum filters from Kennedy in the post position and I will be using my old stock up before buying any new ones. By the way has anyone determined how long one of his monsters will last, I know that fuel quality is a factor, but these things has got to hold a lotta trash before pluging up, especially going through the OEM first. I will probaly watch the delta p to determine when to change.

Geno