PDA

View Full Version : EXTRA FUEL TANK

DURA-MAX3
07-05-2002, 13:59
HAS ANYONE HOOKED UP AN EXTRA FUEL TANK IN THEIR PICK-UP. JUST WONDERED IF YOU CAN CONNECT IT TO THE EXISTING FUEL CELL WITHOUT INTERRUPTING THE HIGH PRESSURE FUEL SYSTEM...ALSO IF YOU DID WHAT KIND OF TANK AND HARDWARE DID IT TAKE...

Idle_Chatter
07-05-2002, 16:48
Yep, several of us have put in the American Tank (www.auxtank.com) auxiliary kits. The fuel system on the tank side (all the way up to the injection pump, actually) is not "high pressure" and is actually under slight vacuum as the pump is a "sucker." The American tank kit comes *complete* with every bit and piece you'll need for the installation from hoses to clamps to wires to bolts and includes the 6-way switching valve. When installed, the selected tank supplies fuel to the filter & injection pump, the sender in the selected tank is switched to the factory fuel gauge and any recirculation fuel passes through the factory fuel cooler and back to the selected tank. Pretty sweet. See pictures of my 43 gallon cross-bed in my "pics" link.

bobojay
07-06-2002, 15:33
Also check out www.transferflow.com. Their equpt. seems to be first rate. I just installed a replacement tank of theirs for my short bed. A piece of cake.

They also make a replacement filler neck for the GM diesels so you can go to the big diesel pumps.

Good luck......

TBC
07-07-2002, 12:41
I installed a 41 gal tank and tool box combo that I bought from Northern Tool. The tank was at a good price. I had a little difficulty get a guage and valve kit because the dealer want to sell you the whole setup. Most of the tanks that were complete were $1200 to $1600. I paid $600 for the tank and $200 for the valve kit and did the rest myself. The hardest part was cutting existing lines and getting the valve mounted without kinking hoses. I used a spot on the left side of the dash that is recessed where some switch panel was suppose to be mounted. It was simple to mount the switch and it is now out of the way and almost out of site.

Search the internet and check the truck shops. There are a variety of prices and tanks. I really find mine to be a fuel price saver since I can buy where I find the lowest price even if away from home and don't have to always pay higher prices.

fredwe
07-07-2002, 15:03
i as well have a L shape 400 liter box mount fuel tank with a tool box above, looks real good when you paint the tank to your truck colors, i ran a line from the bottom of the aux tank to the filler cap by drilling threw the box in the coner, then drilled a hole just under the the filler housing and tied the line in their, pluged off my vent line on the stock tank, this works great and now i fill about every two to three thousand km, great for the long hauls