PDA

View Full Version : oil pump replacement question...pulling pan

ff43sc
02-21-2005, 15:44
I plan on changing the oil pump in my k2500 4x4 6.5L, can this be done without lifting motor or pulling motor mounts/bolts? Also who offers a remote and/or dual oil filter setup. Seems as soon as I restart my engine after changing the oil, it is black already...would like to find a way to filter it better/keep it cleaner...Thanks.

Stock 6.5L F, 200,000+ miles..

[ 02-21-2005, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: ff43sc ]

john8662
02-21-2005, 15:52
For the oil pump, since your truck is a 4x4 it's not too bad. What you do is remove the front skid pan, remove the skid pan that covers the front axle. Then remove the front driveshaft. After you have those items off, you can lower the front axle by removing it's two main mounts. You don't have to remove the front axle from the vehicle or remove the bolts holding the c/v joint onto the front axle. Once you have the front axle lowered start removing the pan. You'll have to remove the starter, then the oil filter adaptor from the block, then move any necessary lines out of the way temporarily to pull the pan. A word of advice though, these pans are on the engines really good with RTV, so get a putty knife and something to pry with.

Also, while you're in there look for main webbing cracks, if there are none consider installing the stud girdle kit. At least if the engine fails in the near future you'll have a rebuildable block (which are HARD to find). You might also consider installing the newer oil pump and pickup out of a 1998 6.5L, it's a higher volume pump, but at your mileage, I'd just put a new Melling pump in.

JoeyD
02-21-2005, 17:47
If you are removing the pan anyways get in touch with Rick Meyer on this board, he makes a nice deep oil pan. Nice pan with additional oil capacity to aid in cooling the oil.