PDA

View Full Version : When to retire the dino etc...

luvthesmellofdiesel
10-01-2002, 13:27
I have been running Delvac dino 1300 15W40 (plus whatever was installed from the factory) up to 9,000 miles. Fixin to change it again and would like to retire the dino and go for synthetic. When would be the best time to switch over? I was thinking not before 10,000 miles. Assuming I run synthetic, when do ya'll change it out? Still do the 4,500-5,000 mile routine? Sounds like it would be a good idea no matter what oil is used... I have been using AC oil filters.

Separate subject, but I have always used Wix oil & air filters on other vehicles in the past. Picked up a Wix air filter some time ago to replace the air filter and realized a big difference between the stock AC filter and the Wix. I think the stock AC filter is much better built than the Wix. What does anyone else use? I know I don't want a K&N or Amsoil screen.

My only gripe with the '02 2500 crew cab diesel is you can't get a stock 3.42 (or lower) axle ratio with the ZF6's tranny. I find myself wanting to shift past 6th. It sure would be nice to roll along at 85 pushing less than 2500rpm's and not have to listen to the single shot injector racket. Sure provides incentive to stay under 85... Ideally, I think I would like to run around 1800 at 85. Seems as though the Dmax's spin pretty fast for a diesel, wonder if that'll shorten their life...

thechevyhdman
10-01-2002, 18:16
Take a look at my oil analysis done in the thread above. Citgo Citguard is the cheapest oil that our distributor sells. I think it comes out to 1.35 a quart. 7500 miles between oil change.. and its still pretty good based upon Caterpillars Oil Analysis. With I must say Oil lab was so clean id eat filet mignon off the floor.