PDA

View Full Version : Alt problems, lights surging ?

markmartin
12-16-2003, 18:27
1998 2500 Siverado with 6.5 T Diesel, I bought it recently and I am loving it. It has alot of miles (173,000) but looks and drives like new. I did notice what might be a problem tonight. It seems to be when I first drive it at night. The head lights surge a little. They get brighter and them back to normal, seems to work only initially. What do you think? Think my alternator is heading south? I need to, its getting cold here in Ky LOL

Mark

Basshopper
12-16-2003, 22:04
Watch your alternator guage if it is moving like your lights pulsing it is your alternator not regulating anymore. I am on my 4th one in 160000 miles. The other possiblity is your battery connections especially where the 2 batterys connect onto 1 battery. Some things to check out.

Budd
12-17-2003, 00:07
I've noticed that mine will also do that. I figure it's due to the after glow cycle of my plugs. In fact, only happens during the after glow cycle. Hope this helps.
Budd

Budd
12-17-2003, 00:23
I've noticed that mine will also do that. I figure it's due to the after glow cycle of my plugs. In fact, only happens during the after glow cycle. Hope this helps.
Budd

markmartin
12-17-2003, 05:01
Never thought about the Glow Plugs cycling. That is probably what it is, How long do the Glow Plugs Cycle when cold? HOping what this is.

Mark

m-keith
12-17-2003, 09:32
If it is the internal regulator in the alternator that's bad, an auto electric shop should be able to change it out for much less than the cost of a new alternator. I've had this done on other vehicles.

a5150nut
12-17-2003, 10:18
Mark

Check through the past messages and go over all electric connections. Clean, tighten battery cable or even do the post/bolt upgrade. Also keep ALL ground conections clean and tight. Peventive maintenance is a lot cheaper than repairs and at your chosen time instead of Murphys law.

I got my 98 Blazer back from the body shop and 2 months later replaced the alternator twise and battery once due to them leaving the positive cable finger tight. Now, everytime I check the oil/coolant I also go over electric connections and belts.