PDA

View Full Version : Hot Juice at the track

mtomac
09-28-2002, 22:50
On my way home from work Friday I met the big brown truck coming into the driveway. I knew there was a Hot Juice coming my way so I pulled in next to him and met him at he door. After I grabbed the box, I headed straight for my truck and proceeded to hook up my new toy. After completing the 5 min installation I got into the truck and headed for some back roads. Before going to the track I wanted to check things out so I made half a dozen full throttle passes in 2wd with the Hot Juice set on level 4 with the allison in T/H. All I can say is wow, what a difference another 35hp & 50ft/lb makes. There is some defueling in T/H with 125hp that there wasn't with 90hp but everything felt good, definately quicker than before. After dinner I went to the dragstrip with the Hot Juice to improve on my 14.718 @ 90.74mph I ran with the decaf juice.

Going thru tech inspection the guy taking my paper work says, "I remember you from last time, this thing hauls a$$". I told him I turned up the wick a little and wanted to see what she'd do.

I got in line and ended up with a 200X Camaro Z28 next to me. He does a small burn out and I pull right up and prestage. Then I roll forward and stage. He prestages, I start making boost, then look over at the tree. He stages, revs her up a little, the tree counts down, off we go. After we launch I see the guy in the Z28 look over at me when he hits second gear, suprised that I'm still right next to him. I stayed with him until he got way into third gear. There was more defueling between gears which was hurting me, but each time it was pulling hard after it got into the next gear. The 4-5 shift came without incident, then it started pulling hard again. Then all of a sudden the Allison goes limp and I start slowing down going thru the speed traps.

Compared to my 14.718 run I was .077 faster @ 330' .089 faster @ 594' .099 faster @ 1/8 mile (660') .144 faster @ 1000' but only .110 faster @ 1/4 mile (1320'). My 1/8 mile mph was 1.25 mph faster and my 1000' mph was 1.26 mph faster but my 1/4 mile mph was 5.49 mph slower. I ended up with a 14.608 @ 85.25 mph against the Z28's 13.956 @ 100.44 but the Allison going limp cost me at least 1-2 tenths of a second, not to mention some top speed.

Even though I didn't beat the Z28 I did find the limitations of the Allison in my 6600# truck. It can handle the 125hp Hot Juice in 2wd but not in 4wd.

I also found out that the dragstrip in Stanton is still running test and tune Wed nights and Sunday's till the end of Oct. So, I'm planning another trip to the dragstrip before the end of the month. Next time I'll have level 3 set in regular and level 4 set in T/H. So when I get into 5th I'll take it out of T/H and back it down to 90 hp so the Allison doesn't go limp on me again.

LV TURBO BUICK
09-29-2002, 06:25
thats really cool!! and the viedo too!! i wonder if you hit the 2wd button after the launch if it would shift into 2wd on one of the trans shifts? mite be hard on the t-case but if it worked you could keep it in t/h the whole way. by the way what happened when the trans went limp? did it down shift? or just kick out of gear? thanks---len

Swayse
09-29-2002, 11:26
I went to Penwell, TX yesterday with my 2002 GMC/Isuzu/Allison 285/75/16 on 16x8 wheels, single cab 4x4 with 7400 miles, 4" exhaust, and HOT JUICE. I ran a 14.34 at 90.74 and a 14.37 at 91.64 and a 14.47 at 91.50 and a 14.42 at 90.14 and a 14.46 at 91.46. Tranny was still defueling at shifts and sometimes it felt like it started to slip in 5th and defueled there too. Don't know. All runs were done in 4x4, best 60' was 1.89, and the worst was 2.07.

Had a great night. :D . Next time I'll take my tools out of my tool box. :D

Pete

sdaver
09-29-2002, 17:34
good deal thats what i like to hear....dave :D :D :D

mtomac
09-29-2002, 17:58
When it went limp it felt like it kicked out of gear so I let off then got back on it but the truck wouldn't pick up speed while it was in 5th. When itt downshifted to fourth it would move again. It threw a SES light which dissapeared after a dozen or so ignition cycles.

MountainMax
09-30-2002, 06:22
I'm confused. (normal state of mind).
Your prior runs which were faster were done with your Juice. On this post, Your runs were slower (for whatever reason) You defueled more and went into limp mode with the Superjuice. Is this an improved product or is it too much power?

Thoughts?

Kennedy
09-30-2002, 08:08
First I will say that defueling between shifts IS necessary! If you want to go SLOWER, leave the fuel on between shifts. The clutches in this transmission are not designed to shift quickly, and need a liitle break to shift. Fueling through the shifts does not allow the clutches sufficient time to apply and grab which means slippage.

Now in time the transmission mods should help this a bunch, but the stock Allison just isn't meant to do what we are asking from it.

I haven't been to the track, only G-Tech, but the Hot Juice has hit sub 6 second 0-60s and 14.4's with my truck weight ranging between 7300-7600# as tested...

hoot
09-30-2002, 09:15
Well then they need to slam them gears like they do on the big trucks. Ever notice how hard the big Allisons bang gears?

But you're probably right JK, this trans was not designed for that type of shifting.

Don't they always say the firmer shift gives you more clutch life? I believe the problem is there are no sprag clutches so they cannot engage the next pack until the previous one is fully disengaged. In other words there's a very short time when you are in "nuetral" between every shift. That's the reason for the power "pause". If there were a sprag then they could get the next pack engaged while the previous one is still on ?

Kennedy
09-30-2002, 10:41
The other issue at play is the "Caddy" factor. The clutches come in smoothly to make it like a Caddy...

The converter mod brings in the TCC nice and firm, and I really like it, but I'm sure there will be those who are afraid of it same as with upped line psi on the 4L80E. Most have never experienced how a good shifting TH400 feels...

Heavy Duty Neil
09-30-2002, 14:10
Quote:
I went to Penwell, TX yesterday with my 2002 GMC/Isuzu/Allison 285/75/16 on 16x8 wheels, single cab 4x4 with 7400 miles, 4" exhaust, and HOT JUICE. I ran a 14.34 at 90.74 and a 14.37 at 91.64 and a 14.47 at 91.50 and a 14.42 at 90.14 and a 14.46 at 91.46. Tranny was still defueling at shifts and sometimes it felt like it started to slip in 5th and defueled there too. Don't know. All runs were done in 4x4, best 60' was 1.89, and the worst was 2.07.
Had a great night. . Next time I'll take my tools out of my tool box.

Pete
-------------------------------------------------

Hey Pete, did ya get rid of the Dodge?
Nice runs. smile.gif

Swayse
09-30-2002, 15:20
Yea, I sold my Dodge diesel a few months ago. The best I ran around here was a 14.35, that was in Hobbs. It ran a 14.26 in Dallas.

My wife still has her 2002 Dodge 1500 4x4 with the 5.9(gas) and the 20" wheels. Weird, everybody thinks I got rid of her truck after the disapointing 18.2 that it ran. Couldn't look at that truck for a few days, but I got over it.

Can't help but think we know each other, any hints?

Heavy Duty Neil
09-30-2002, 16:08
Yeah, kinda, I've talked to you before @ LS1.com. My username over there is Neil99Z71.
I'm down here @ San Angelo/Wall.

Swayse
09-30-2002, 17:20
I remember now, cool. No bad luck with the Dodge, ran as good when I sold as it ever had. Sold it to a guy I know for $23,000 with 73,000 miles. Talked to him yesterday, he still loves that truck, and so do I. Just wanted something different.

I need to take the Trans Am to the track again. With lid and catback, runs 13.62 at 101.78 at Penwell, and 13.38 at 104 at Wall. But it is for sale, so it may be sold before I get the chance.

So, looking around the Diesel site, thinking about a diesel?

afp
09-30-2002, 18:04
Realize the performance increases obtainable with power increases are not linear. Also, too much power--if not applied to the track properly, can cause you to go slower. My 4.0 juice (level 4, no tow-haul) gave me a G-Tech run of 14.49 with a 0-60 mph time of 5.92. My truck is lighter than JKs, probably in the 6900 lb range on my runs.

Blaine

Heavy Duty Neil
10-01-2002, 07:56
>>>"So, looking around the Diesel site, thinking about a diesel?"<<<

Nah, not really, unless I find an awesome deal on one. I just like to know what these bad boys are running. :cool:
It will be interesting to see what the new Cummins will do once them guys start bombing them. smile.gif

FightinTXag
10-01-2002, 08:00
"It will be interesting to see what the new Cummins will do once them guys start bombing them."

My money is on 'trashed trannies'

Kansas Kid
10-01-2002, 15:39
For the guy who mentioned something about what might be in store for the Cummins, check this site out. Not too shabby for no longer then the new setup has been on the market.

http://www.dieseldynamics.com/isbe-intro.htm

btw, this was with the HO/6-speed combo. I think the Dmax put down about 240Hp/440ft-lbs on the same dyno. Couldn't find the graph to verify it though.

[ 10-01-2002: Message edited by: Kansas Kid ]</p>

Swayse
10-02-2002, 06:40
Once you go diesel you can't go back. I don't know what I'll buy next, but it'll be a diesel. I was so impressed with my Dodge diesel in the Colorado mountains, it didn't seem to lose any power in the high elevation. Next year we took the wifes ZR2 Blazer to Colorado, it was a dog, could not get out of it's own way. Passing people with that thing was scary.

I just wish the wife liked my GMC as much as she liked my Dodge diesel, no vacations with this truck.

PEANUTGRWR
10-02-2002, 17:41
SWAYSE, ARE YOU GONNA BE AT THE RACE THIER GONNA HAVE AT DELACA MOTORPLEX IN THE NEXT WEEK OR SO (IM NOT FOR SURE EXACTLY WHAT WEEKEND IT IS)???I WOULD LIKE TO CHECK YOUR TRUCK OUT. ITS THE NEW TRACK BETWEEN BROWNFIELD AND LEVELLAND.

Swayse
10-03-2002, 08:14
I wanna go, if they have thier timing stuff ready. I'm gonna be digging some peanuts next week, but I should be though by Friday night. I only have 125 acres of peanuts this year and dad doesn't have any, short harvest. Buddy of mine got a 14.33 with his Dodge, my best time was a 14.34, so I'm gonna go till I beat his time. Take the tools out of the tool box, take off the bed mat, clean the air filter, change the fuel filter, etc...

I should be there, unless, well, you know.

Pete

PEANUTGRWR
10-03-2002, 10:33
I UNDERSTAND TOTALLY ABOUT THE HARVEST DEAL. IM GONNA START DIGGIN ON WEDNESDAY OF NEXT WEEK. OF COURSE DEPENDING ON MOTHERNATURE. IF YOU FIND OUT FOR SURE WHEN IT IS LET ME KNOW VIA E-MAIL IF YOU DONT MIND. I WISHED I HAD MY BOX UPDATED TO THE SUPER JUICE BUT OH WELL WELL SEE HOW MUCH REGULAR JUICE AND PROPANE COMPARES I GUESS ;) GOOD LUCK DIGGIN

Heavy Duty Neil
10-03-2002, 12:12
Guys, here's Dolaca's website:

http://www.dolacamotorplex.com/

7mmSTW
10-03-2002, 17:45
Hey Peanut, throw me an E-mail. Let me know if yoou are for sure going to the track or not.

Later

Seven

Swayse
10-03-2002, 20:11
Cool, will do. We could line up, that would be fun. I don't mind seeing tail lights. With my reaction times, I see them a lot. :D

I'm gonna try really hard to get to Houston on the 26th of this month, not to run but to watch.

Pete

PEANUTGRWR
10-03-2002, 21:50
HEY SWAYSE, IM JON -----NOT JOHN FORCE tongue.gif DONT EXPECT ANYTHING IMPRESIVE OUT OF ME AS FAR AS REACTION TIME. OR ET'S AS FOR THAT MATTER. JUST WOULD LIKE TO COMPARE AND BS. HOPE YOUR NUTS ARE BETTER THAN MINE :rolleyes: JUST HOPE ILL BE ABLE TO GO TO THE TRACK. MY DAD SAYS HES GOIN FOR SURE SO MAYBE ILL GET A CHACE TO GET AWAY TOO.