PDA

View Full Version : New Guy!!

GMCTRUCK
09-26-2002, 21:04
I've been reading posts on this forum for a while but, I just joined. I ordered my 03 GMC 2500HD 4x4 DMAX ZF6 May 4 and took possession Sept. 9, and just turned 1k miles. At first I was not excited about spending just under $40k for a pickup but, I needed an extra cab and had GM Card points to use up. So far I am very pleased. This thing chirps 4th gear stock. smile.gif and GM has done a nice job of replacing the fisher price interior their famous for. My experience with personal vehicle Diesels are as follows: 95 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 5spd, 96 Ford F350 4x4 PSD with self-installed Banks Powerpack, and 97 Chevy Tahoe 6.5 TD. The Cummins was great but, what's the point of a 300k mile engine in an (if your lucky) 100k mile Dodge. The dealer saw that truck more than I did and it had nothing to do with the engine. I traded the falling apart Dodge with 22k miles in on the Ford. I sold the trouble free Ford with 40k miles to a friend that was hounding me for it. I bought the Tahoe for my wife and drove my company truck a 91 GMC K2500 350 with 240k hard miles till now. I take care of my trucks and maintain them religiously but, work them hard. I tow, haul masonry, 4-wheel for fun and on job sites and plow snow with a sander full of water logged sand. So if someone uses their truck to commute to the office with and tow with on once a month I don't pay much attention to their testimonials on how good their truck is. In fact the "commuters" are part of the reason why trucks have become so expensive. Okay, someone tell me which exhaust to buy. That TS Powerloader looks like it may be the ticket for us guys with the handshaker instead of the Allison. ;)

mackey_62
09-27-2002, 05:33
Welcome aboard, you'll love it here.....
Just don't ask any questions about your neighbors ajustable seats or tractor wheels??????

Anyway, going to be a few different opinions here on exhaust. In my opinion best bet is Banks Monster 4", or Kennedy 4/5". There are others out there, don't know alot about them. These 2 are using the good stainless, and everyone seems impressed fit, finish, sound etc... with each one.
Personally, I'm going to get...........I don't know which one, probably leaning toward Ken. 4/5 cause I CAN'T STAND exhaust tips!!!!! :mad:

Chirping 4th gear?? Not mine, think I'd have to try pretty hard. No Juice for us, I feel so left out. Guys talkin' 500 ponies and all I can do is watch. Give it a little time, flurry of activity right now, we'll have plenty of choices before long for the handshakers. ;)

On edit: The opinions stated here are just opinions! I hopefully will not offend anyone who owns a different exhaust system.

[ 09-27-2002: Message edited by: mackey_62 ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
09-27-2002, 10:43
GMCTRUCK,

Congrats on the new truck and welcome to the forum!

If you're looking for an exhaust, I'd recommend the Kennedy 4"/5" system. Mdrag's got one, and he's very particular, to understate it a bit. ;) The sound is great, 5" pipe looks awesome and Kennedy's support is superb. He won't BS anybody, especially not to make a sale.

Banks has a name from long ago, but if you read over on TDR or Ford-Diesel.com, they get roasted pretty soundly for deceptive marketing tactics, high prices, inflated performance numbers, etc. I'd rather buy from the man who tells you honestly what it will/won't do for you rather than the large organization that misleads, overprices and ignores you when you have a question. It's all documented in great detail on those sites. (Getting off soapbox)

Once a gain, welcome aboard! Regards, Steve

mackey_62
09-27-2002, 11:49
Should have mentioned in original post how much JK helps guys out here. Just watch for awhile, you'll see. Definatly gonna be a factor when I find the change for a tip-less system :D

GMCTRUCK
09-27-2002, 18:01
Okay, I just got off the phone with JK. He returned my phone call, from his cell, on the road. Who's better than that guy?! Anyhow he set me straight on some stuff and a JK exhaust and Amsoil filter are on the way! It has begun. :D

mdrag
09-27-2002, 18:28
GMCTRUCK,

I got the Kennedy Diesel 4" exhaust with the 5" tailpipe/muffler aka 'king of the hill' special:

www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff3.htm

QUOTE From More Power's article
================================================== ==========

"...John Kennedy's 2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison was the day's top performer...At 24,420-lbs rolling combined weight...flew past the 2nd mile-marker at an incredible 84-mph, accelerating hard every inch of the way...."

================================================== ==========

That was a 2 mile long 6% grade :eek:

I couldn't be happier with the quality, fit, and the way it sounds. The 5" will roar when you put your foot into it, and may not be for everyone.

Kennedy answered my phone call on a SUNDAY evening when I had a question or two on fitment. BTW, if he was calling from his truck, it has the 5" option...

Try a search on exhaust in this forum, and you will find numerous posts. There are pics of the KD exhaust install at the link in my sig. Good luck.