PDA

View Full Version : IP Warranty Question

Jcolg
02-21-2005, 11:10
Just bought a 97 6.5 TD last December. Truck is running great and so far I have had no problems. I took my trucks VIN # to my local GM dealer and asked them to give me a summary of the warranty work performed by GM. I was sent to the service managers office and was surprised when he agreed to do the search right then, however he also stated that he could not give me a printout of the info, but he would read it off to me. I started to ask about why I couldn't have a printout, but I sensed he might refuse to do it at all if I pressed him. Anyway my truck currently has 130K miles on it. According to the GM records it had a new IP pump installed in October of 03 at 95K and one installed in July of 01 at 60K. There were 2 or 3 other minor repairs that he mentioned, one was a leaky transmission cooler line that was replaced, and the others I don't remember. I asked the service manager about what the current warranty was on my pump and he stated that he wasn't sure. So from this I have a couple of questions, first should I have pressed him for a print out, or try an other dealer, or are they all reluctant to give a printout of the warranty work to someone other then the original owner. And what is the warranty on these pumps? I have heard 120 K and 10 years. But I assume that this is for the original pump. What happens in a case like mine, where the truck has had 3 pumps, but is now past the 120k, will they do anything if my current pump fails within the next 20 or 30K?
Thanks

[ 02-21-2005, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Jcolg ]

Shuck
02-21-2005, 12:41
I've never had a dealer give me any trouble about printing out a warranty history. I have it done all the time. That is odd - I would be curious to see everything that was on there.

If you give someone the VIN, they might be able to check it out at their local dealership for you.

As far as the warranty, it's 120k and 10 years and that's all. If you're over the mileage or timeframe, it's highly unlikely you'll get one replaced under warranty. Sometimes it's hard enough to get it done even when your truck still falls within the warranty period.

6.2L Driver
02-25-2005, 14:45
there is a special policy #00064F issued from GM in sept 2004

warrenty for 11years of 193000km quote the policy number to gm if they say your warrenty is over then there tune will change

Turbine Doc
02-25-2005, 17:42
Unless I did my conversion wrong 120K mi is 193K Km so even by that he is over, some dealers will work with you maybe pro rate it some, but they don't have to honor anything as you are out of coverage.

Are you having a specific problem or just a generic question for info purposes?

Get a remote mount FSD at your earliest affordability, I recommend Bill Heath's set up it's warranty is good for 7 years.

6.2L Driver
02-25-2005, 18:27
What is Bills Health set up

Turbine Doc
02-25-2005, 19:55
FSD bonded to a 6 X 12 flat plate made of heat xfer alloy used as a heat sink, mounted out of the engine bay on a long harness, I mounted mine behind my front liscence plate 6 mos no troubles, others have had them on longer. Howie E I think has had his on about a yr & a half.

6.2L Driver
02-25-2005, 21:36
does anyone have a picture of this bill health set up, or know where i can buy one?

Thanks

Turbine Doc
02-26-2005, 07:55
www.heathdiesel.com (http://www.heathdiesel.com)

Check Howie E's install I went with different location http://mysite.verizon.net/vze54tx9/

CareyWeber
02-26-2005, 17:35
Originally posted by Shuck:
I've never had a dealer give me any trouble about printing out a warranty history. I have it done all the time. That is odd - I would be curious to see everything that was on there.

If you give someone the VIN, they might be able to check it out at their local dealership for you.

As far as the warranty, it's 120k and 10 years and that's all. If you're over the mileage or timeframe, it's highly unlikely you'll get one replaced under warranty. Sometimes it's hard enough to get it done even when your truck still falls within the warranty period. Shuck,

I've asked many times and none has ever been willing to do it for me.

Carey