PDA

View Full Version : Predator in 05 LLY

KCDuramaxTurbo
03-21-2005, 13:35
I just bought a Predator for my new 05 LLY. Anything I should know about this. I use to have an 02 with Hot Juice and it ran very good.

WanaDmxsub
03-21-2005, 19:26
Predator tunes run hot, get an EGT gauge.
If you run the 100 or the 85 tune with the stock tranny don't be surprised if you limp the tranny.

KCDuramaxTurbo
03-26-2005, 21:22
Just to let everyone know. My first tank I averaged 18.0 mpg. I install the predator on the 40 setting and so far have driven 50 miles. I reset the mpg at fillup and right now is reading 24.3 mpg. I hope it stays that way the rest of the tank. I'll keep you posted.

DmaxMaverick
03-26-2005, 21:50
Are you relying on the DIC for your mileage numbers?

If so, put your hat back on. Once you alter the programming, either with a programmer like Predator, or a box, the DIC mileage will no longer be accurate. You will have to calculate it the old fashioned way. The reason is the new program is "lying" to the PCM, so the PCM thinks it is delivering less fuel than actual. You may (should) get a mileage increase (if you keep your foot out of it), but your numbers are HUGE.

christo
03-31-2005, 20:02
I tried using the Predator on my '05 while pulling a 5th wheel.
Even on the 40HP setting the exhaust temp climbed far to high.
Had to stop in less than five miles and set the programming back to original stock.

Would like to try it without the cat.
Anyone tried this?

Christo

KCDuramaxTurbo
04-01-2005, 19:31
I am over 3/4 of a tank and I am at 22.8mpg.

DmaxMaverick
04-01-2005, 20:28
Originally posted by KCDuramaxTurbo:
I am over 3/4 of a tank and I am at 22.8mpg. Is this according to your DIC?

KCDuramaxTurbo
04-01-2005, 22:54
Yes, I will calculate this weekend to see the actual. I hope there is not much difference. I never thought of that. So you are saying that the gallons used is incorrect too?? The higher the setting I use, the DIC should say I am getting even better MPG's then, right? Interesting. that actually sucks, I thought I was really doing good.

DmaxMaverick
04-02-2005, 07:33
Read my reply on 3-26. It's explained pretty well.

Your difference may be significant. As long as you haven't changed tire size, your odo should still be accurate. Calculate the actual miles driven with the actual fuel used. I think you are going to be dissapointed. How much depends on how heavy your right foot has been. If you drive now, exactly as you did before the mod, you should see an increase in economy. That doesn't mean you absolutely will.

YMMV, as they say....

KCDuramaxTurbo
04-03-2005, 18:16
Yep, you were right, I am getting 18mpg. DIC showed 22.8. It showed I used 14.8 gallons when It took 18.9 to fill up. DAM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff McClain
04-26-2005, 10:08
Just bought a Diablo Predator for my '05 Duramax LLY. I am running 285/75/R16's on this, and the speed is off by around 6.6% (near as I can tell with GPS, and also mileage clocking it), so I wanted to correct that so the DIC would work better. As long as I run in "stock" mode but with the corrected tires, the fuel usage shouldn't be "lying" to the DIC, and then the DIC should work, right? Just checking.

Also, still waiting to pick up an Edge Juice/Attitude, so I don't have an EGT. Anyone think I need to worry about using settings 1 or 2 for NON-TOWING situations without an EGT on that Predator? I'll be careful and move back to stock for now for towing until I can get one...

What does everyone think is the best fuel economy setting for non-towing useage on the predator?

-Jeff McClain

bobo
04-26-2005, 13:35
65hp setting was best for me.

Jeff McClain
04-26-2005, 19:20
Thanks, Bob. I'll give it a try and let you all know (should be here tomorrow). I've read that these programmers can cause the anti-lock brakes to stop working if you go too large on the tires? I hope that 285's aren't too big.

Boy, I'm sure upset that chevy doesn't allow easily to change the tire size on those damn DIC's native. That would sure be easier than buying a programmer. And why the hell they didn't include a boost gauge and EGT is beyond me. Even as an option, I'd have paid for it...

-Jeff

Kennedy
04-27-2005, 05:43
Originally posted by Jeff McClain:

Boy, I'm sure upset that chevy doesn't allow easily to change the tire size on those damn DIC's native. That would sure be easier than buying a programmer. And why the hell they didn't include a boost gauge and EGT is beyond me. Even as an option, I'd have paid for it...

-Jeff GM would need EPA cert. for all speedo options I'm sure. Additionally, the Allison shift speeds are based on output shaft speed rather than engine speed so any gearing/tire changes will affect the mph at which things occur.

As for boost and pyro gauges, that would create such a mess with warranty, and people saying my truck only makes 20 psi when my neighbor makes 23. Then there's the panic over EGT, or if a thermocouple fails. The people here tend to understand most of this, BUT how many times have you heard the complaint about roaring under the hood or woosh and the power went away? GM did the right thing with the fan clutch and it scares, and confuses people...

PS, I "speak" bluntly most of the time. This post is not intended to sound ofensive.

Jeff McClain
04-27-2005, 19:50
Yeah...and they shouldn't have a speedo then either. Or a tranny temp, RPM, or oil pressure guage... ;)

BTW, I got my Diablo Sport Predator programmer for the LLY tonight. Spent some time going up and down the freeway with a GPS and timing mile markers. I went with the 65hp setting and edited it for max speed and to allow for the 285 tires. I really don't like how the transmission shift points are for that 65hp setting (there are some nasty dead spots and harsh shift points), but I guess I'll give the tranny "learning" a chance to see if it gets any better. The speedo is dead on now (cool).

Now, I just need to get a good boost/EGT guage setup (not sure I want/need the Edge Juice/Attitude setup, so if anyone has a good recommendation for A-piller pods with those, let me know).

On a side note, do any of you actually pull all the fuses that DiabloSport manual says you need to (radio/info/onstar)? I did at first, but tried it a couple times without doing all that later, and no grief...

-JM