PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 vs 6.5

JeepSJ
12-16-2003, 16:21
If this has been asked before, I do apologize - I did a search and couldn't find anything, so here goes...

My project started as swapping a 6.2 into a Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I have been looking for an engine and just came across a 6.2 and a 6.5(non-turbo). They are both military engines, and both have been freshly rebuilt (at the local depot). Both are complete (except for alternators), and the 6.5 has no oil pan.

So, it is decision time. The 6.5 is $400 more than the 6.2. Should I go with the 6.2 or the 6.5?

I don't know if this will affect the decision, but I have been working with Banks to put together a turbo for my Waggy. Whichever engine I do install will get a turbo.

Thanks!

Mark

EscaladeDiesel
12-16-2003, 18:15
If you haven't you should also post in the 6.2 forum.

I had a 1992 6.2 HO engine (better performance), drove it almost 300,000 miles. I NEVER had a problem internally, only had to replace the starter twice. Along with my 2 6.5's, I presently have a couple of older 6.2's and they are all on their original engine components. I have had three 6.5 turbos. They have all had problems and none of them had over 75,000 before failures occured. I love them when they run. I question that the 6.5 is better than the 6.2 for durability, but I am sure others will have more input into the actual mechanical differences.

catmandoo
12-16-2003, 18:43
i gotta say i am somewhat partial to the 6.2 also i don't know why but my first 3 treated me so good i myself would probably go that route.as it is in a wagoneer and you are gonna turbo.you should have more than enough power to go around.i myself was always gonna try a 5.7 diesel in my wagoneer as motor mounts will bolt right up.never did get around to it though,now the old jeep just sets there.

JeepSJ
12-17-2003, 15:42
Interesting that both of you would lean towards the 6.2, while the guys over on the 6.2 board think that the 6.5 is better.

Thanks for the input. Anyone else want to add anything?

Thanks!

Mark

DogDiesel
12-18-2003, 02:38
I work with a lot of 6.2s and lot of 6.5s in both military HUMMERs and commercial engines.

The 6.5L is the better block, minus a few years oil cooled engine (block) in mid-late 90s. People's problems with the 6.5L on the commercial side ususlly has been the EFI injection pumps.

Putting two de-tuned non-turbo engines side by side, run them, there'd be little difference in longevity, and slightly more power from the 6.5 and slightly better economy from the 6.2.

Wayne
~~Near Bagdad IRAQ~~
My winter vacation...

BuffaloGuy
12-18-2003, 06:00
Hey Dog Diesel - Looks like you're in Iraq. Say Hi to Sad-damn for me. Hope he is enjoying our "hospitality" and his last days among the living.

Keep up the good work! There's tons of us folks that really appreciate your service and knwo it is valuable and needed. Don't listen to the entertainment commies. They don't speak for any of the folks I know.
Ken

cruzer
12-18-2003, 08:30
What's the old saying there's no substitution
for cubic inches, or in this case cubic centimeters?