PDA

View Full Version : How would the pro's set up a "tow truck"?

Yamahauler
07-14-2004, 18:50
I have owned an '03 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab SWB truck for the last two years, and it has been the best truck I have ever owned. I have used it almost exclusively for towing a 12,000 lb. toy hauler trailer. I have an Edge Juice for it, but only used it for a few hundred miles, then took it back off to have a warranty service done, and have never bothered to put it back on because the truck has towed just fine without it. I have a 4" exhaust and gauges, and the EGT has never gone above 1350 degrees (pre-turbo), no matter how hard I work the truck.

I am upgrading to a 16,000 lb. fifth wheel toy hauler this fall, so I am also upgrading to an '05 GMC 3500 Crew Cab dually.

I hated the loud Dynomax 4" exhaust on my last truck, because it was just too loud.

How would you Duramax pro's set up a new LLY GMC for towing this fifth wheel trailer. I do not want a loud exhaust, and I actually like the very low maintenance stock air filter, just because of its simplicity. So are there any power upgrades that I should consider to help the new truck tow the extra weight of the larger toy hauler? Will any of the power tuners, or injection boxes work well for towing, without needing constant monitoring of EGTs. Will I be able to add enough power for a towing application to make it worth my time, or should I just leave it alone. I don't care how fast the truck is without a trailer behind it, because I quit racing my truck years ago, and now I race what the "Yamahauler" hauls. :cool:

Thanks in advance.

Rockin
07-15-2004, 05:23
I haven't done it myself so I can't claim "pro" but the attitude has an egt backoff. You set the limit for egt and if you're pushing too hard, the attitude will back off and you don't have to monitor.

Eventually, my plan is to set up this way. Sometimes, my wife will pull the 13-14K trailer alone and I don't want her to have to worry about watching one more guage. It seals the choice of upgrade for me.

More Power
07-27-2004, 07:41
I agree with Rockin. The Attitude monitor allows you to set a max EGT, and it'll work to keep exhaust temperatures at/below that figure without driver intervention. I would recommend that you not use the higher power levels while towing, to help protect the transmission.

Otherwise, leave the truck stock - including the exhaust system. Once you have at least 10K miles on the truck, you'll know more about what direction you might want to go with any future power or truck upgrades, and you'll be able to confirm the truck's ability and reliability during this time.

MP

mark45678
07-27-2004, 14:16
in the hills turn off OD by holding tow/haul button for 5sec and set the juice to level 2 keep the cruise set at 65~70 and forget it! tongue.gif