PDA

View Full Version : Heater core out at 39500 mi

kevin21
03-14-2005, 19:26
I'm not trying to be a post whore so bear with me.

I recently was driving around and it was a mild Houston day, and rainy. I had the defroster on since it was humid and the windsheild was fogging up big time. Well, come to find out my truck was bleeding internally (onto the floor in the cab, drivers side).

Took the truck to local mech I know, he tells me that the heater core is out and its, get this, $950 to repair. $200 part and $750 labor (10 hrs).

SWEET!!!! Out of warranty and out of luck!!

I am real happy at this point so I say I'll come get it and I take it to the dealer that I bought it at, which is not the closest one. It's Ernie Guzman GMC if there are any Houston folks here.

They tell me to bring it in. THey have the same diagnosis, heater core.

I ask the svc guy if he can do anything since it is only over by 3k miles and still under 36 months. He says he'll try and get GM to suck it up. Well, semi good news, GM will take 1/2 of it and I have to pay the other 1/2.

Well, $450 is way better than $900.

They fix the stupid thing (they have to take the entire dash out to get to it) and then I go pick it up less than 30 hours later (10 hour job, I don;t think so, or maybe they are fast).

Good news again, since GM got involved I get to share in GM pricing!! YAY (even though it never should have broken).

Total repair bill, $281.00. Way to go service man!!! Went to bat for me and hit a triple, not a HR but close...

Anyway, I'm still upset that the thing blew but at least the dealer was a good customer service advisary!!

If I decide on another GMC I will definatly go to Guzman.

They also are giving me a tank of gas (diesel) for giving them a completely satisfied survey. I might just give them the survey since driving there would cost me gas anyways...

David Proske
03-15-2005, 23:08
I had my truck at Ernie Guzman today for the steering rattle, rattle in passanger rear door, and a rattle under the dash.

I'll give them A+ for the repairs. They actually had the intermediate shaft in stock, and also adjusted the steering box to take up alot of the slop in the steering.

They also were able to fix the other 2 rattles in the truck that the last dealor(Beck & Masten north) couldn't fix, and the last guys just greased the steering shaft insted of replacing it.

david
03-17-2005, 21:51
Hey David,
Send me a email n5vxu@earthlink.net
I would like to chat with you!!!
David