PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice....Engine Problem.....Repair, Rebuild or Replace with new

EscaladeDiesel
12-16-2003, 13:16
Hello All...in my previous posting of my oil line coming off, and my engine being damaged, I thought I might be covered under the 5/100 warranty, but I forgot my in-service date was 10/97. I am now faced with figuring out what to do. Has anyone gotten GM to do a Goodwill repair a year after the warranty expires? I fixed the line, the engine starts fine, sounds fine, with a slight miss it NEVER had before, and it SMOKES like crazy (gray smoke). BUT....when the engine warms up, its smokes less, but, it starts to miss a bit more and there is a loud "rapping" noise at idle or at running speed. The performance when driving seems normal, but the "rapping" noise is still there at all times. What sort of problem does this sound like? Does anyone know of a Dallas/Fort Worth area repair facility? Based upon previous experience, should I repair, rebuild or replace with new? What are the cost?

GARY PAGE
12-17-2003, 17:47
You can get a long block from AVANT for around 3K and with a 1K install, tax oil and misc stuff lets say 5K. My suggestion if you are not willing to do you own mechanical work move to a different truck. A lot of this depends on what you paid for and what you still owe on the truck. It

Arlie
12-17-2003, 19:42
I just had the same blown oil line problem. My engine sounds OK but I get no oil pressure and with the oil line off going to the turbo, no oil comes out while cranking. Haven't had it checked out further yet but I think it's blown.
I'm seriously thinking of converting back to gas since I don't drive it much and don't need diesel for the economy. Even if I were I'm not sure the high price of a rebuilt diesel (likely $8,000 for the whole job) I doubt it's worth it. I think I can go back to gas for a lot less.
Interesting thing, this truck was originally a 454 converted to diesel before I bought it.

Anyone got insights about converting back to gas?
Good luck with your Escalade.
Arlie

EscaladeDiesel
12-17-2003, 20:28
My Suburban is paid for, but MAN-O-MAN, I guess I over paid when I paid so much extra for the added durability of a diesel. At 49,900 miles I would have thought things would have lasted a bit more. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to do the work myself, but seems I am gonna have to fix it in order to sell it for a reasonable price. Anyone know of a good Dallas / DFW area Diesel mechanic, maybe it can be fixed without a total rebuild.