PDA

View Full Version : Cold Start Problem?

DMAXTODD
01-18-2003, 12:04
How is everybody,

I have not had much time to check the page lately.Some interesting new stuff here.
anyway, I go out to start my truck thursday and it starts and runs a little rough then dies and will not restart.It was about 18 to 20 degrees that night. Forgot to plug it in,though it has started in weather cold as this before. So I checked for fuel at the bleed screw at the top of filter o.k.,being still under warranty I didn't try to check anything else. I had it towed to the dealer where they claimed it took them three hours to dianose that I had not bleed the system properly after changing the filter? Is it possible there could be air in the system from november when I changed the filter?

I am a little annoyed with them as I have changed the filter on this truck since new,not to mention our two dodge cummins for ten years and never had a problem after changing the filter and bleeding.

Any advise on what to tell the dealer?
Sorry for the long post, Thanks.

thechevyhdman
01-18-2003, 12:56
I personally dont see how changing your fuel filter 2 months ago could have anything to do with what is happening now. I would think that if there was air in your fuel system there would have been a problem as soon as you changed your fuel filter in Nov. 18-20 degrees is not very cold for a starting issue. It was hovering around -1 to +2 degrees farenheit this morning. My truck was not plugged in and it cranked over fine(the first 5 seconds of runing she did throw some blue smoke). My best guess is that you had some gelled-up fuel. When the mechanics brought it inside (where its warm) your diesel fuel returned to normal and hench they could'nt find a problem. Id start running some anti-gel additive, or save you moey like me and throw a gallon or three of Kero in at every fill-up. Im sure someone else could take this alot further tha I have, but thats what I think your problem is. Bill

tonkater
01-20-2003, 20:00
Gelled fuel at 18 to 20 degrees ?? Maybe some frozen water , seems to warm for gelled fuel.
Drove down from northern Mass Fri. nite - was between 15 and 18 below zero most of way home.

Kennedy
01-21-2003, 00:22
If it does it again, try pumping the primer w/o the bleeder open. This should build a little pressure and get you going IF it is air related. When you REALLY have to work to push it, you have about 10 psi in the system.

DMAXTODD
01-21-2003, 13:40
Thanks for the replies guys,

I had a feeling I should have tried more before I got the truck towed,anyway The dealer said it took them hours of primimg the system to get it to run? I asked if they had any idea what caused it,they still do not know and think I just changed the filter and could not get the truck running again. I argued that I have changed the filters on both our Cummins and my D-max since new and never had a truck not start after priming.
So they finally agreed on $40.00 Rather than $130+ So it wasn't that bad. How come the Dodge never dies after started in the cold?