PDA

View Full Version : UNDER HOOD HOUSE KEEPING

MIKE WIENER
07-01-2004, 17:35
Is it ok to rinse off the under hood area? I was told not to as it would short out the electronics. I like to rinse of the grime every now and agen. I do it to my work truck all the time A 98 C1500. never had a prob. but the electronics are not as sofistacated.
Thanks for any insight on this.

MIKE

GlenM
07-01-2004, 18:12
I have a 2001 and every 6 months I hit it with Gunk Engine Bright (not Gunk Heavy Duty). Let it sit about 15 minutes and hose off with the garden hose. Comes out really nice. Stay away from pressure washer, although I've used that to and never had a problem. My 01 has a computer on the passenger side valve cover I stay away from but never covered before washing. Use common sense with the high pressure and you'll be ok. Then if I feel really fussy I will spray it down after it dries with Armorall Tire Foam.

jbplock
07-02-2004, 03:52
Glen
I use a process similar to yours... About once a month I clean my engine using simple green and water (engine should be warm or cold – but not hot right after driving). First I cover the Alternator and FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) with a plastic bag (usually Wal-Mart) then I mist the whole engine compartment with water from a garden hose. Next I mist the engine with a 50/50 solution simple green and water using a pressurized garden sprayer- the type with a hand pump (some folks use Dawn). I let the engine sit for a few minutes and rinse off with a gentle misting spray from the hose then blow off the excess water with compressed air. I finish up by misting the engine compartment with Amorall (again using a small pressurized garden sprayer filled with Amorall) … Keeps everything looking clean and new.

The garden sprayer with simple green also works great on the wheel wells. When washing the truck I wet them down and spray with simple green, then wash the wells with a brush. I also mist them with Amorall - looks great (I know ... I'm over the edge :eek: )

smile.gif

mcmonroe
07-02-2004, 07:04
I personally avoid Simple Green at all costs. That stuff is very corrosive on aluminum and will really stain the heck out of it -- A/C fittings, housings, brackets, etc.

I too like keeping the under hood area clean but will limit myself to very low pressue garden hose water and a very mild liquid dishwashing liquid.

I find that this works great, causes no problems with the electricals, and keeps everything looking new -- including anything aluminum.

Random thoughts..

Mark Monroe
Harrisburg NC

More Power
07-02-2004, 07:40
I learned recently (thanks to JK) that water can accumulate in the injector fuel line fittings while washing the engine. This water can then contribute to an unseen rusting problem of those fittings.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/images/injectorrust.jpg

This doesn't create a problem till one day when the fittings are loosened/removed during injector maintenance, and rust particles then contaminate the insides of the fuel lines and injectors. It's been theorized that this external rust making its way into the injectors has resulted in blaming a water in fuel rusting problem.

What I recommend is to drive the truck long enough to bring it up to operating temperature after washing the engine. This will bake out any water that finds its way into the injector fuel line fittings (and other areas of the engine).

MP

hd90rider
07-02-2004, 15:23
I was told, and I believe it is in the owners manual, just not to use high pressure to rinse it.

jbplock
07-03-2004, 05:47
Mark,

Good point about the simple green. I agree you have to be careful, as it will leave a residue if left un-rinsed – especially on a warm engine. I find if the engine is wet before applying the simple green and it’s rinsed before it dries, there is no residue left over. I also follow MP’s advice and drive the truck after washing the engine to thoroughly dry it out.

smile.gif