PDA

View Full Version : Normal Operating Temp for D-max

AlanL
01-16-2003, 10:08
I've only had my truck a month, and its been cold here in NH tne entire time.

What is considered normal operating temp for the D-max?

My truck has been taking a long time to warm up after work (its a little better at home with the block heater in use) and then typically never gets above the mark between 160 and 210 (which would be 185 if the scale is linear).

This morning the outside temp was about 15 degrees F. I put on the grill cover only (but not the part that covers the bumper) and the truck warmed up slightly faster and more importantly got to almost 210 when I passed a few people getting on the highway smile.gif and down about 5 degrees when I was going easier on it at a constant speed.

Is this temp of around 200 to 205 normal for the D-max during the non-winter months?

Is is better on the engine and on fuel economy to have the engine running at this temp rather than the 185 that it has been running without the cover?

johnpugh
01-16-2003, 11:00
I think what you are describing is normal.

My truck will slowly build heat and eventually rise to almost the 210 mark and then dives down to about mid way between 210 and lower large mark (185??).

drgracr
01-16-2003, 11:14
Sounds normal to me. I beleive there is a tsb from GM stating the winter cover should be installed once the fall temperatures arise.
The reason for this TSB was for oil cunsumption because the engine does not get a chance to heat up. Too efficient

AlanL
01-16-2003, 11:49
Glad to hear it.

RE: TSB

The 2003 diesel suppliment said not to use the cover when the temperature is going to be over 32 degrees.

I have used it (just once before) at 45 degrees and behavior was the same as I am seeing today in the cold, although I was only using the grill cover, not the additional bumper cover.

WillowCreekStable
01-16-2003, 11:57
It's been c-c-c-c-cold here too. I've had my truck since August, no difference in operating temperature warm or cold. My guages are metric, but run about the same as yours, adjusting for F vs. C scale, moon phases, our $0.60 dollar.... I have the winter grill cover only on it, haven't been plugging it in as I don't have a outside plug close to the driveway - a weekend project! Also plan on adding high idle as well. Takes a long time to warm up, and doesn't maintain temperature if idling for long.