PDA

View Full Version : Six-Gun Diesel Tuner for LLY

Freeman777
03-01-2005, 23:03
On Thursday, Feb. 17, 2005, I drove from Las Vegas, NV to Gale Banks Engineering HQs in Azusa, CA, where they installed the Six-Gun bundle and Speed-Loader. I opted for the pillar post gauge installation: Pyrometer on top and boost on the bottom. The

mark45678
03-02-2005, 17:54
the stock trans on our lly truck can only handle about 60~90 hp and 160~190 lbs of extra power without slipping! stay on the low side of those number and your truck will perform like a champ, turn it up for the hills and start to think about how your trans is dealing with the added stress. My lly has 40K on it now and the fluid is getting darker quick and it never gets more then level on juice. I have changed over to allison syn fluid around 25K

Freeman777
03-02-2005, 22:05
Mark, Sounds like good advice to me. I'll keep it at level "3" (60hp/160lb-ft) on my up-coming trip (700-800 miles) and post the results when I get back (3/19/05).

Freeman777
03-18-2005, 23:49
Mark,

The truck handled the 36' 5th wheel trailer very well; I was impressed. The first big grade out of state-line (NV)it ran 50mph in 3rd gear (manually selected, later on I let the computer choose the gear)at 3k RPM; temperature readings of NORMAL on both the transmission and engine!(It was stock the last time I pulled that hill: 35mph in 2nd gear at 3.5k rpm; temps: trans - 250* and the engine - 260*) I think it might have pulled that hill at 55mph, but I was being a little cautious, the pyrometer was reading 1300 - 1350* (redline is at 1300 and I didn't want it to go to 1400*!! During one long stretch (150 miles) I avg. 13.4 mpg which is 30% higher than stock readings 10+ mpg. On the way back (just out of Searchlight, NV) I was running at 65mph (looking for mileage) when an 18 wheeler tried to pass, but never could get around so he just stay at my 7 O'clock for miles. I eventually got tired of that, dropped the hammer and was doing 85mph before I knew it! (I'm running position #3 in town and on the road; it's rated at a 60hp increase w/ 160 lbft of added torque). I eventually learned that it apparently has a protective device to keep it from going to steady 1400*; it down shifts bringing the temps back down to 1300 - 1350*! Combined weight of Truck/36' 5th wheel + two passengers = 22,420lbs. The transmission stayed cool most of the trip: below 150* Under ideal conditions of wind/road, I watched the "Instant economy" reading flux between the high teens and the low 20's at 62 - 64mph. All in all: uphill with a headwind on a twisting two-lane road = 10+ mpg; good conditions of wind & road = 13.4 mpg (cruise-control:62 mph - 64 mph).

More Power
03-19-2005, 12:03
Looks like we'll have an opportunity to do a Banks package introduction and review before long. A local truck is being equipped with the full deal package, and we'll be there to shoot some photos and perhaps do a few G-Tech evals... :D

MP

Freeman777
04-04-2005, 08:04
Update on mileage: Drove I15 from Lynnwood (7 miles South of Barstow) CA and measured my mileage (DIC) to Barker. All conditions were good: wind, weather, road and traffic. It

DmaxMaverick
04-04-2005, 09:57
[quote]Originally posted by David A. Freeman:
[b] Update on mileage: Drove I15 from Lynnwood (7 miles South of Barstow) CA and measured my mileage (DIC) to Barker. All conditions were good: wind, weather, road and traffic. It

Freeman777
04-04-2005, 18:48
Thanks for the heads-up; I will verify my mileage where ever I can in the future. I was encouraged by Kennedy's latest post reg: his return trip.

Where's the LLY mpg

"...Manistee MI to Loyal WI:

Return trip was using the Edge LLY EZ and burning Amoco Premier (as labeled on pump) fuel from a BP station on the south end of Manistee MI with 8oz of additive also. We left Manistee in the 4:00 PM hour CST and arrived home about 10 hrs later (one food stop and a couple of driver swaps) logging 584.1 miles on 30.9 gallons calculating to 18.9mpg. The DIC calculated 18.9mpg and 30.9 gallons on the head."

DmaxMaverick
04-04-2005, 19:28
I caught that too. It's either a typo, or JK has a secret he hasn't shared with us. I'm not that optimistic. It would be nice, though.

BozDMAX
04-04-2005, 19:34
David - Read this disclaimer from your Six-Gun installation instructions (page 3) and be careful.

"To prevent factory torque converter
damage, Banks recommends that
automatic vehicles do not exceed
Level 4 (Level 3 with Speed-Loader)
while the vehicle is experiencing load
(towing, climbing a steep grade,
carrying a load, etc.). To protect the
factory clutch, manual transmission
vehicles should not exceed Level 3
(Level 2 with Speed-Loader) if the
vehicle is loaded."

I have the Banks Stinger package and am quite happy with it. And since we full-time, we come in a bit heavier than you (we are at 23,750 - more than I would like but well within the power ability of the truck). The Banks exhaust brake keeps me off the binders in most situations so even with 75K miles my brake pads still look new.

Watch your Allison Temps and if you have any concerns drop by an Allison dealer and have the deep pan installed (I paid $260 for the pan, pickup, and a flush in Seattle a year ago). I have yet to see the Tx temps hit 200 degrees since and that includes a couple trips through the Rockies.

My only trouble has been a sticking actuator rod on the exhaust brake, so if you ever loose power with the brake on, and cannot get any boost, you probably have a stuck actuator.

Boz

Freeman777
04-04-2005, 22:17
Boz:

I did see that admonition in the literature and only tow on level #3. I haven't seen any high temps in either the trans or the engine since I had the system installed; they both run normal or slightly below normal under ALL conditions. How deep is that pan? I'm concerned about ground clearance when hunting off-road. That exhaust brake sounds nice, but I'm still watching them (as well as the new inter-cooler, which is just too pricey for me right now. It does look interesting though)

Red Bull RockIt
04-26-2005, 12:36
I make my living towing with a Gross Weight around 25,000 lbs. We took our D'max to Banks for the complete package including the exhaust brake and are very happy with the result. We LEAVE the setting on "3" and cruise control keeps us to the speed limit everywhere and we don't even need to monitor the pyro or boost as "3" doesn't dial it beyond the edge. If we do make the jump to 4 or higher, the EGT can scream up pretty quick.
Also, it can spin the ZF's clutch with too much torque. Knowing I can't afford to miss a competition sitting on the side of the road,we don't even take that chance unless it's neccessary for a second.
I have a thumbs up for the Banks setup, but then again, I use my truck for work and not for racing ricers.