PDA

View Full Version : LLY PREDATOR experience

bobo
02-28-2005, 15:18
I am running the 100hp tune finally. Got gauges installed last weekend. I noticed egt's of 1400 when doing some testing runs at 100hp after learning the tranny for a few days. Today was great for hard runs with wet slushy roads. Didn't have to worry about damaging tranny!! I know I could have got the egt well over 1400 if I stayed in it. At 85hp tune, maxed out at just over 1300 degrees driving the heck out of truck (I even felt bad afterwards!) Got the 1300 egt on interstate in 5th gear going 110 on speedo. I can't believe 100hp tune can get egt's high so fast! I can't wait to take this truck to the drag strip. Hope I can run high 14's with it. I guess we'll see!! Anyone else running LLY Predator?

More Power
02-28-2005, 18:09
A couple local LLY's are running the Predator - primarily to correct the speedo (due to larger tires) and give a bump in power while towing. Combination of speedo correction and programming is delivering about 1-mpg better fuel economy (owner performed a fuel economy test due to being disappointed with the stock LLY's fuel eco numbers).

MP

Kennedy
02-28-2005, 18:56
I do not recommend using the 100HP tune with a stock Allison. It's going to take it's toll over time...

BMDMAX
03-01-2005, 10:16
And not that long of a time at that! I am suprised you have not limped it already.

If you have a built tranny the 100HP tune will put you in the 14's with ease. I just ran a 14.3 @ 97 MPH with a poor 2.16 60' time in the LLY. With a good hook that is a run in the 13's.

I would put it back to the 65 tune if you don't plan on upgrading your transmission.

bobo
03-01-2005, 18:50
How much of a tranny upgrade do I need to run b's to the wall at 100hp tune. I haven't even begun to run it hard with the 100hp tune. The 1300 degree temp 110mph was done on 85hp. Only 2wd launch at 100hp. I tried to stall it to get some boost up to launch today (100hp) and it just spun the tires @ 7psi like mad. Did you guys limp it in 100hp tune? How? I beat the snot out of it in 85 hp and it didn't go into limp mode. Can the tranny slip with no limp mode?

BMDMAX
03-02-2005, 08:46
Yes it can slip with no limp mode. I would look at a transgo/converter kit, or SC III kit at a minimum for a tranny upgrade.

It really depends on how much cash you want to drop on the upgrade.

The damage is cummulative, while it may not be limping the damage is already occuring. The LLY has way less room to "grow" because of it's already higher rating from the factory.

Keep playing and it will look like this eventually:
http://www.bmdmax.com/images/clutch2.jpg

DURA-MAX3
03-02-2005, 17:22
Not to change the subject but I was wondering how the predator is performing and if you had any trouble with it. Been thinking about it myself. And when you use the speedo correction does it make the DIS start calculating mileage and everything correct...

bobo
03-03-2005, 17:51
I don't have DIS, but I have read it is not accurate when programming is installed. I don't think the DIS is accurate anyway. My 04 Impala SS don't give accurate readings. The programmer works good. I turned it back to 40hp. The 65,85,and 100 hp tune make the motor get some strange rattle noise while cruising, but some others don't get the noise I am getting. Kennedy and Predator HelpDesk say it should be fine. I don't like it. It sounds like detonation to me, but I don't know how to test it. I think this programmer is a great bang for the buck even if I never use the higher program settings. The tranny should be modded for higher hp settings anyway. It goes like mad at 100hp tune!! I had to try it!! My coworker w/ 05 Duramax is getting Predator after seeing mine. He has a huge 5th wheel, and he is going to use the 40hp setting when pulling. He also installed bigger tires, so the speedo calibration will help him too. He has 265 e-rated Brig. Revos. The predator helps with the gas mileage too. You just have to (try to) keep your foot out of the throttle!!

Kennedy
03-04-2005, 06:52
I've seen the DIC mpg figures come up pretty darn close when stock, but with the Predator they get way off.

bobo
03-06-2005, 11:22
What do you think a good tranny upgrade would be to run something like a hot juice on my truck? I will not be using propane or nitrous. Do I need an E-Locker?

Ranger354
03-06-2005, 15:38
I like my Diablo predator so far. I adjusted for tires size and the computer is telling me 17 to 21 mpg at 70mph. This can't be. I figured it and get about 13 to 16 on the highway. Mine is set on 65 hp increase and it is very hard to keep your foot out of it when just starting off normally.

While listening to the Nascar race last week on XM I looked up and was doing 100mph. Felt like I was just gliding.

I have yet to pull anything other then my bass boat, but will be latching on to some big trailers soon.

So Far, So Good!

cowdoc
03-17-2005, 13:46
I have run the Predator on both the 40 hp and 65 hp tune. I prefer the 65 hp tune. The engine is quieter and runs and pulls like mad. I may even be seeing a 0.5 mpg increase in mileage, but that might be my imagination. Have put about 4000 miles on the truck with tunes installed and no problems so far. Very happy with the unit.