PDA

View Full Version : New exhaust system

Spindrift
12-16-2003, 09:56
I'm finishing the design of the new exhaust system for my burban. One issue that I haven't seen addressed in the thousands of other "exhaust system" posts is related to tailpipe location - either in front of the tire or install at original location behind the tire. I'm concerned that exhaust fumes will enter the rear window of the vehicle if I place the tailpipe in front of the tire. I'll never hear the end of it if the kids and wife have to breathe diesel fumes while the windows are down. I don't really care as I was one of those nuts who as a kid use to stand by the curb waiting for the old bubble front NJ Transit buses to go by as they belched huge clouds of smoke. Any unhappiness in the family will more than offset any minimal performance gain I realize from the new system by reducing overall pipe length and removing those bends over the rear axle.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Shad
12-16-2003, 14:02
I still think the stock location is best, However if it is custom I would do the last bend at a 45 like the new duramax trucks so it exits at the corner with a 4 in stainless tip. Then if someone comments about your new system tell them "size matters".

sturgeon-phish
12-17-2003, 18:38
With the exhaust exiting in front of the tire, the exhaust may stain the wheels.

BuffaloGuy
12-17-2003, 19:53
It may stain the wheel AND it may get the rubber too hot. I've got a mud flap just in FRONT of my tailpipe, about 2 inches away, and it is melted (stock location) Imagine 1000F+ fumes spewing out onto tires running on 150F pavement. Not a recipe for long tire life.

My.02

Spindrift
12-18-2003, 11:09
Good point. Stock location here we come.

Kennedy
12-18-2003, 12:41
Keeping the exhaust exit angle closer to stock will tend to blow the exhaust smoke away from the vehicle while the laid back approach will allow more of it to collect and swirl behind the vehicle...