PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Use of Oil

Lt .59
01-14-2003, 22:36
My '01 DMAX has been using too much oil. Just finished using one quart for 938 miles. I'm taking it to the dealer Thurs. for a peek see. Some of these dealer's repair staff aren't real skilled with these engines so am a little (lot) apprehensive. Any thoughts, references, or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mackin
01-15-2003, 05:16
Well I hope you have better luck then most as GM feels a quart in 1000 miles is exceptable levels.....BS if you ask me....You should keep that in mind when visiting the dealer...... ;)

How many miles on your DuraMax???

MAC

Bass_on_tap
01-15-2003, 07:30
LT.59, I am no expert here on diesels as I am still learning and new to this technology. In the event that the dealer finds nothing wrong with your Duramax engine, what I think Mackin may be getting at with his question to you about "How many miles on your DuraMax???" is this, if your engine has less than say 10,000 miles on it, your engine may not be broken-in yet, or possibly, may not have been broken-in properly. I am not sure of proper posting edicate here so I won't list a link to another forum on diesel break-in, albeit, on a competitor

Lt .59
01-15-2003, 20:06
Thank you, Mackin and Bass On Tap. I just spoke with a local mechanic who owns a max and he advises that there are at least four bulletins out on excessive oil use. Some of them deal with the turbo unit. My '01 has 24,000+ so should not have this problem. My dealer advised that anything under 2,000 is acceptable. So we'll just have to see. Sure appreciate your responses. God bless.