PDA

View Full Version : Air in Filter problems only when towing

CAVdmax
11-23-2005, 04:20
I have an 01 K3500 D/A with the old hot Edge (120hp), AFE stage 2 intake, KD 4-5" exhaust, and gages. I have been running this setup for the past 50k miles and for the most part have been very happy with it. Most of my towing is in the 7-10k lbs. range and everything works great. Ocasionally, I tow a large boat that is over 12k lbs and is 13+ feet tall (lots of windage). Obviously I don't like to go slow.... and the truck certainly has the power to tow the load at just about any speed.

The problem that I have is when towing this load, I frequently get a reduced power situation where the max rpm is approx 1800 rpm and the service engine light comes on. If I purge the fuel filter everything is fine again. I have an excellent dealer and they already replaced injectors some time ago, I thought that the problem was solved, but recently it has reappeared, and the dealer doesn't know what else to do.

I assume that I am pusing the stock fuel supply beyond its limits and somehow am pullin air into the system. The current filter only has a few thousand miles on it, and it seems like the new filter will only make the problem worse.

Would one of Kennedy's lift pumps solve my problem? If so, which one would be best? Thanks.

Kennedy
11-23-2005, 06:23
Does it set any codes? P0093?

Have you performed the ECM updates associated with the early air box mods?

If you plan to do lift pump (excellent idea) I suggest the twin pump setup to ensure constant pressure at all times. One will likely suffice, but two will leave no question...

Jim Brzozowski
11-23-2005, 08:59
I think you're right on. It's just requiring more fuel than it can pull thru the filters. Presurising it should solve that problem. Talk to Kennedy.