PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Duramax Shop Manual out there...

Seth McKinney
03-16-2005, 18:36
I was just wondering. I have searched everytwhere. It seems that if you don't know about trucks you just have no chance. I want to change my oil, and do maintenance myself. However, I have no clue unless I learn. So if any of you have top secret information you would like to give me I would appreciate it because I don't know a whole lot about trucks right now, but I am learning.

madmatt
03-16-2005, 19:11
try helm inc. (http://www.helminc.com)

Seth McKinney
03-17-2005, 04:01
I couldn't find anything on that site. I would gladly pay someone if they were to type up maintenance information for a 2002 Duramax Crew Cab. It's frustrating to me because I just don't know, but I want to.

So if someone wants to take the time to type up instructions on changing oil, oil filter... every bit of maintenance that doesn't require a real mechanic then I would gladly pay you. I know I may sound stupid, but I just want to learn.

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
03-17-2005, 04:35
Try:

This link (http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=&Mfg=GMC&Make=CHV&Model=SILV&Year=2002&Category=&Keyword=&Module=&mscsid=LGG3SH8507M08GJ2Q04MWMANEP014VVA)

If all you want is basic service procedures, they are at your fingertips. Just use the search feature and members content on The Diesel Page. I can't imagine anything that hasn't been covered. You shouldn't pay for something you already have.

Jim Brzozowski
03-17-2005, 09:43
Seth, how did you get a truck without an operators manual in it????

Seth McKinney
03-17-2005, 09:50
Not an operators manual -- I want a "how to" manual. How do you do this... What to do on this... etc... That's what I was looking for. The operator's manual does nothing.

More Power
03-17-2005, 12:02
Make a list of service items you'd like more info on, and we'll post the info you need (or links to prior topic threads here in this forum).

MP

Seth McKinney
03-17-2005, 17:20
How to change:
Transmission Fluid
Differential
Transfer

Stuff like that -- maintenance stuff:
Lube Chasis

Etc...

Basically everything that needs to be done to a truck. That is what I am looking for. I don't want to be a pest -- it's just that I don't know.

Thanks

More Power
03-18-2005, 19:47
Sounds like a good idea.... I'll work on it. In the meantime, anyone who wants to can help.. smile.gif

MP

madmatt
03-18-2005, 20:31
tranny- pull the plug in the pan, it's either a 15 or 13mm. I've slept since doing one! Spin the filter off take the magnet off the top of the old filter and put it on the new. spin the new filter on hand tight. Put the plug in, give it a couple a good tugs w/ a 3/8 rachet (german torque spec= guudntight) pour 7.5 qts atf in and let'er fly.

The others mentioned are just as easy as drain and refill w/ recommended fluids.

theres 9 or 10 grease fitting on the front. ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm assm, and pitman arm. (don't think I'm forgeting any?????)

jbplock
03-19-2005, 04:36
Regarding grease fittings, there are 11 zerks on the 2500/3500HD's as follows: (quoted from 56Nomad's post Chasis Lube Points - Zerk Fitting Location (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=004170))

2 - Upper ball joints
2 - Lower ball joints
2 - Outer tie rod ends
2 - Inner tie rod ends
2 - Idler arm (one on top and one on the ball joint)
1 - Pittman arm

A 90 degree adapter on the grease gun helps too..

smile.gif

[ 03-19-2005, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: jbplock ]

Seth McKinney
03-19-2005, 09:42
You all are doing a great job. Keep it up -- I truly appreciate it.

madmatt
03-19-2005, 19:05
Thanks Bill! When you do so many oil changes every day(we don't have a "lube boy") you just do'em w/ out thought like a machine. it's hard for me to keep track of everything w/ out a truck in front of me sometimes.

Seth McKinney
03-20-2005, 11:33
Too bad I don't have a clue where any of those are...

madmatt
03-20-2005, 19:11
get under the truck, locate the ball joints @ the end of the control arms out by the tires. there are fittings sticking straight up out of the top ball joints and out towards the rear of the truck on the lower ball joints. from there go to the point where the tie rod connects to the steerung knuckle(what the ball joints connect the control arms to), hit the fitting on top of the tie rod end. follow the rods up to the rubber boot where the tie rods connect to the relay rod. just inward of the boots on both sides are two more fittings pointing downward. Now find the two arms that connect to the relay rod. theres a fitting on top of both the idler (pass. side) and the pitman (drivers side)arms at the end that connects to the relay rod. you may need to turn the wheels to one side or the other slightly to hit both fittings easily. now go back to the idler arm and follow it up the the bracket on the frame. up high on the bracket pointing inward is the last fitting. I give each about three shots w/ the gun.

Seth McKinney
03-21-2005, 12:45
Thanks Matt -- that helps.