PDA

View Full Version : Block heater thought:

rtquig
01-13-2003, 09:22
For those of you getting a code when you use your block heater, Do you start your truck with it plugged in?

Cobra-R
01-13-2003, 17:17
Usually unplug it then start it, but the light doesn't come on until the truck has been driven for a few minutes. It does not come on when the truck is started.

Brian

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: Cobra-R ]</p>

AKDmax
01-13-2003, 19:44
Start mine with it plugged in. Also doesn't come on until several minutes of driving. Really doesn't have a problem unless it's above 32 with the truck plugged in. Last time I reset the code it was at 168 degrees going 42 mph when the code was set. I don't think it matters if it's plugged in or not when you start it. Isn't this more of a coolant temp problem because the coolant near the heater is warm and the rest of the block is cooler. Once the warm coolant cycles to the sensors it throws a code because the rest of the motor is still cold. At least that's how I understand it...

rtquig
01-14-2003, 10:36
AKDmax: How do you reset the code? It would be good to know if that happens to me. Your explanation makes sense on why it happens. I wonder if I don't get the code yet because it has only hit the teens a couple of times so far this year? I usually plug in when it will be in the 20's or lower.

MountainMax
01-14-2003, 10:46
Pardon my ignorance: I'm in Houston and haven't thought about the block heater. We're due for a real blast of arctic air this weekend. Duh....How do I plug in my heater? :confused:

rtquig
01-14-2003, 11:50
MountainMax:
It's on the passenger side bundled by a wire tie almost under the battery. You have to look good as they place them where you wouldn't see it unless you were looking for it. If you want to run it where you don't have to open the hood to plug in, you will have to undo a hold down and pull a little extra cord to reach the front end. Then you can use a wire tie to put it near a tow hook, or the license plate. I have mine come out under the grill, but you can put it where you choose.

AKDmax
01-14-2003, 20:21
rtquig,
I borrowed an auto x-ray unit from a friend to clear the code. I have only received it twice and the truck has been plugged in every day since mid Sept.

Cobra-R
01-15-2003, 09:25
I wana tell you the pattern that I have noticed with the light coming on and see if it coralates with any of you.
My truck sits in a unheated garage with a timer to come on at 4:00 am, I usually start it about 6:45 and leave at 7:00. It is about a mile drive to drop the kids off and another 1/2 mile to work all IN TOWN.....light never comes on in that situation.
Weekends: Truck still plugged in but I usually don't get rolling until 8:30 or 9:00 am, so the truck is plugged in for an extra couple hours. Then I take off and the light will only come on after I have driven the truck for a few miles down the highway.
Is there something in the computer that doesn't allow the light to come on until the truck has been driven so far or has reached a certain speed?

Just thinking out loud here, Brian

[ 01-15-2003: Message edited by: Cobra-R ]</p>