PDA

View Full Version : Optima Battery Install Problem

dogren
11-17-2005, 04:20
Just replaced OEM batteries with Optima Red-Tops. Ground cable on driver side battery did not reach

DmaxMaverick
11-17-2005, 09:31
Well. We meet again.

I had the same issue when I installed Optima Yellow Tops. I was able to take up enough slack to get it connected, with the battery slid as far inward as possible. At a later time, I will relocate the ground point. There are plenty of locations on the engine closer to the battery.

If you can't take up enough slack to reach the terminal, you may have to find a ground point closer. As long as it is similar to where it is now, there shouldn't be any problem with it. One thought would be the bolt that secures the "jump start" extension, where it bolts to the head. Then you'd have to ponder over all that excess cable....Another option is to purchase a longer cable. Extending the existing cable is not an option, as it will give you fits in a short time.

Jim Brzozowski
11-17-2005, 11:42
Why not just make yourself a strap extension, a piece of aluminum drill 2 holes, bolt one end to the ground strap and the other end to the battery, course you'd have to buy an additional bolt for the battery connection and posssibly a lock washer, flat washer and nut at the ground strap end. Make it look nice and polish the aluminum. I can just see it now.

dogren
11-18-2005, 04:24
Hello again DmaxMaverick,
Thanks again for the GP help. I posted a thanks and a summary of what I found a while back. My updating and fixing continues, but I still love the truck. I ran a search on batteries and the Optima's seem to rule, so I went with them. I got the Red-Top's though. Is there a reason you went with the deep cycle? I plan on looking a little deeper into a re-route of the cable, but it doesn't look to good. You mentioned an extension would be a problem? The post above seems to have no problem with it? Thanks in advance. D.

DmaxMaverick
11-18-2005, 08:53
I went with the Yellow Tops because I need the batteries to withstand deep cycling while dry camping, and still be able to start the truck. While Red Tops would still do this, the Yellow Tops are designed as a dual purpose battery, a combination starting and deep cycle. I use Blue Tops in my RV, as they are Optima's true deep cycle. It's one less thing to worry about while enjoying the great outdoors. I've been extremely pleased with them, and they spin over the motor noticeably faster than the higher amp rated OEM's.

The metal strip extension mentioned above would probably be OK. When you suggested an extension, I pictured a cable extension, which don't do well. Generally, the high current demand isn't friendly with cable connections at all. I would not use aluminum, though. A lead bonding strap or zinc-cadmium plated steel, or even copper, would be much better. The aluminum just isn't going to carry ~900 amps, and the impedence could cause a melt-down in high demand cold starting. Aluminum was discontinued as a home wiring because of the same reason. Aluminum will oxidize between the connections, creating a significantly increased resistance, which translates into heat. I'd be very concerned about a melt-down, or possibly a fire. It would probably be OK, temporarily, but I would upgrade it ASAP. Aluminum under electrical tension oxidizes rather quickly.

But to echo myself, I'd suggest relocating the ground point as a first option. It would be easiest to do, and require no additional parts.

CCR91
11-24-2005, 17:20
I ran into the same problem two weeks ago on my 2001. Disconnect the cable at the block and reroute in a more direct manner. No need for any special mods or longer cable. You may need to remove the electrical tape and separate the cable from other wires. You will also need to remove the plastic skid plate to access the cable bolt.

Jim Brzozowski
11-30-2005, 09:21
DmaxMaverick, your absolutely correct. The aluminum idea while better than steel (thinking of salt corrosion) the ideal would be copper. It's conductive properties are better, but I'll probably just relocate the position of the cable ground.