PDA

View Full Version : van aaken smart box D

sunk99
02-21-2005, 17:30
I was wondering if anyone here has used a van aaken smartbox D series unit.James Kennedy has informed me that these work off of fuel rail pressure and I was just wondering if it would damage anything by using this unit on my truck.I purchased it used on e-bay and was unaware of the difference between the two types.I would hate to think that I wasted my $135 but I especially wouldn't want it to cause any damage to my truck.Thanks,SUNK99

More Power
02-21-2005, 21:22
Some of the earliest power gadgets for the Duramax raised fuel-rail pressure. Not coincidentally, many of these eventually resulted in fuel-in-oil dilution problems for their owners.

We turned down a number of requests to produce product reviews for these early devices - and for good reason.

MP

sunk99
02-22-2005, 01:19
Thank you that's what I needed to know. sunk99

Kennedy
02-22-2005, 13:05
Pressure type boxes are not necessarily bad, but the power curves are far less aggressive than the pulse type units.

As for fuel in oil, the early thought was that the boxes caused this, but after seeing stock setups do the same, and the warranty policy, it casts reasonable doubt that the box was at fault. Definitely potential contributor, but in no way definitively responsible.

One thing that I did see (again an early assembly issue) was that the psi boxes could be linked to rail psi sensor leakage, but that was a simple fix, and the later units were assembled better.