PDA

View Full Version : LBZ Question

DURA-MAX3
11-15-2005, 19:20
Was thinking of trading for a new truck with the new engine and 6 speed tranny but I would like to know if the horsepower and torque is the full 360hp/650trq in all the gears or derated like the lly version. Drove a crew cab 4x4 dually yesterday and it sure seemed stout to me, easily spin the dual wheels at will on take-off... Nice truck but 51,855.00 list price....WOW...Thanks in advance...

DURA-MAX3
11-17-2005, 18:15
Anybody out there????????????????????????????????

More Power
11-18-2005, 08:52
Since the beginning of electronic diesel fuel injection, the powertrain engineers have been torque-managing the engine, and for a variety of reasons. Driveability, performance, fuel economy, emissions, and durability are among those reasons for torque-managing the powertrain.

The 1999 47RE equipped Dodge we included in our 1999 Pull-Off was the most noticeable of all the diesel pickups I've driven, in that the power was flat during a full-pedal launch till the engine reached 2000 rpm. This was done to protect the automatic.

2-3 years ago I heard from a GM powertrain engineer (who spoke off the record) saying the Duramax is also torque-managed, especially in how it delivers power in the various gears. At the time, I was told that we wouldn't see the full rated (advertised) power/tq in 1st and 5th. This strategy reinforces my personal experience with the LB7 and LLY, in that 2nd gear pulls harder than 1st.

So, it would be logical to assume the LBZ is similarly torque-managed. I wouldn't expect full rated power in 1st, 5th or especially 6th.

Ford, Dodge and GM all do it....

From my perspective, only while towing in 5th might this be an issue. The gear multiplication in 1st greatly overcomes any power reduction, and you probably shouldn't be towing heavy in 6th.

Hope this helps,

Jim