PDA

View Full Version : severe vibration???????????/

suburbanz
12-15-2003, 14:08
Coming home from the inlaws last night in the 96 sub and developed a severe vibration in the engine it felt like.I put the truck up in nuetral while going down the road and reved the engine and it did get worse.Ilimped it to the next gas station and pulled in and got out and expected to see the ballancer in pieces or the belt jumping around or something and before i got the hood up and could look the vibration went away?Only thing i noticed today was the front seal on the transmission appears to be leaking now a a pretty rapid rate while the truck is running.You guys think something happend with the converter or what, idrove it all day today with no problems other than the transmission leak.Any help or comments would be graetly appreciated.I have been working on vehicles for 10 years plus and i have never felt or seen anything that severe and it just fix itself?

dslpwr
12-15-2003, 18:13
U joint does strange things also.
I had one go bad i thought the front wheel was about to vibrate off.

suburbanz
12-15-2003, 18:42
i thought about that but it did it when i reved the engine up also,thanks for the input.

catmandoo
12-15-2003, 18:57
i had something somewhat similar happen to me about 8 yrs ago on my 84 1/2 6.2 and it shook for about 2-3 seconds and quit and a friend of mine was behind me at the time and he said a big cloud came out from under it.well needless to say i made it 3 more miles down the road and it quit moving.after pulling it home the last 1/2 mile and dumping trans fluid in it which proceeded to dump right back out turns out the front of the torque converter cracked,put in new converter and never had another problem.wonder if maybe one of the rivets came out on the lock-up clutch in the converter causing the vibration?

rapidoxidationman
12-15-2003, 20:42
You have an automatic transmission or a manual? If it's a manual I'd start saving for a new clutch and SINGLE mass flywheel. My Dual Mass gave me those symptoms; the bearing seperating the two masses was losing it's balls giving an eccentric and way off balance load. It wrecked the input shaft of the transmission, the rear main seal, the slave cylinder, and it also put a pretty big hole in my pocket...

Hope you've got something easier...
Rapid

suburbanz
12-15-2003, 21:05
it is an auto.it seems to be more apparent when pulling a grade is their anyway the converter could be getting half full or half empty whichever way you like to look at it and causing an imbalence?i dont know much about how auto trans work internally but just a thought.when i pull over and let it idle a minute it smoothed right out!thanks again for replys