PDA

View Full Version : 2nd firewall isulator

62dog
11-06-2005, 18:09
Anyone else have this strange problem before?

I'm on my 2nd firewall insulator, just replaced it a couple of weeks ago. The first time I noticed the insulation on the back wall heard a pop sound. The first time the dealer said it was mice that destroyed eating/licking the salt. This time there is no salt. Also why would they not go after the wires?

Here's my theory for the 2nd firewall insulatory going bad. The insulator looks like it's wrapped in plastic/paper bag. This plastic/paper type bag would expland with hot air from the engine then blow.

another $250-300

.......WHY!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/yzftoolie/IM000520.jpg

DmaxMaverick
11-06-2005, 23:38
Did you find any mouse "evidence" in the area? They don't do anything without leaving something behind, if you know what I mean. There should be a pretty good amount of it judging by the time it would take to do all that. I think your dealer may be full of "evidence".

62dog
11-08-2005, 06:04
Just seen it this morning, only because I parked the truck up close to the house. Dam red squirrel, time to get the pellet gun. :mad:

It was sitting on the front tire sunning itself then went up into the engine compartment.

kellydog
11-08-2005, 19:39
Yup. I saw the mouse in my truck one morning sitting on the left valve cover. Big hole in my insulation. Lots of evidence.

crew84
11-10-2005, 17:04
Interesting subject since I also found a wood rat nibbling on my firewall insulator. I parked my truck next to a wood pile for about four hours while visiting my mother. I openned the hood to check the oil and there it was! It had just chewed a hole through the insulation in about the same spot as 62dog. It seems that there is something in the insulation that attracts rodents.

oyazi
11-10-2005, 19:54
Have it on good report that 'they' (rat, ground squirrel, gopher, something) will chew on wires also. Friend had his wires to the nsbu chewed while camping in the sierras. PLUS the insulation. Mine is garaged but maintain a pat of rat poison under the truck at all times. Plus I keep the doors closed most of the time.

crew84
11-11-2005, 09:57
This would be an interesting poll....How many members have unexplained holes/tears in their firewall insulation?
That would bring up a few questions. One, What if the insulation is made with material that attracts rodents? Two, If so...Is it not a defect?
My older truck did not have this problem. I have seen rodents make nets under hoods before in rural areas but not at my mother's house. Also her car and a Dodge Van RV parked there for long periods have not had any rodent damage/problems.

DIESEL/VETTE
11-11-2005, 12:16
Well you guys are going to laugh at me, But i am on my third firewall insulator, And at $80.00 a shot i was not to happy, Each time i did find the torn insulation stuffed on top of the engine valley, Between the heads, And that is very hard to get out. On my 3rd insulator, I set it out in the sun to get it warm, And sprayed it with my K&N filter lube, So it was very wet, Then i put red ceyanne pepper on it. It has been over a year now and still nothing has touched it. Works for me.

jackrabbit
11-11-2005, 12:44
I haven't had any problem with my Duramax with this, but it is in the garage most of the time.

My 6.2 85 is another story. I have big holes in the hood insulation due to mice using it for bedding.

I started putting mouse traps on the air conditioning compresser. I've caught 4 so far.

62dog
11-14-2005, 10:47
Originally posted by DIESEL/VETTE:
Well you guys are going to laugh at me, But i am on my third firewall insulator, And at $80.00 a shot i was not to happy, Each time i did find the torn insulation stuffed on top of the engine valley, Between the heads, And that is very hard to get out. On my 3rd insulator, I set it out in the sun to get it warm, And sprayed it with my K&N filter lube, So it was very wet, Then i put red ceyanne pepper on it. It has been over a year now and still nothing has touched it. Works for me. Thanks!

I'll definately try this because it will also be my 3rd insulator. Oh, and btw the squirrels have not touched my 85 scottsdale.