PDA

View Full Version : PASS KEY fault

Spartus
11-06-2003, 00:00
I recently had a PASS KEY fault on my 2003 Dmax.. Yes, I have a remove starter on it, and that's what caused the issue I believe...

Does anyone know if there is a way to BYPASS the PASSKEY system on the 2003 Dmax's??? Or maybe a fuse I can remove that will bypass it?

Also, the Stealership told me I had to wait 30 minutes before I try and restart... I waited 15 minutes, and it started right up.. But was LATE for work.... Is the time more like 10 minutes?

Thanks.

-Tom

jesshd
11-06-2003, 05:25
What the heck is the pass key system?

Kennedy
11-06-2003, 06:22
Usually 10 minutes, and the BYPASS for the remote start is what failed. I've had it happen to me before as well. Just gets lost for a second or returns the incorrect info...

Max Power
11-07-2003, 17:59
Your truck's security system is technically called passlock. Passkey was the ones with the resistor palet in the key. New passkey 3 is used in lots of GM cars. It has a transponder chip in the key similar to what for and dodge uses.

Anyways, passlock bypass kits used by remote starts are quite frequetly problematic.

I strongly recommend that if you don't want to have any more problems that you take your truck back and get a PLDATA passlock bypass installed. The bypass the security through the databus instead of using a resistance to fool the passlock system. Resistances change depending on the weather.

You can see this product here. This is all we use to bypass passlock and we have not had a single failure out of hundreds. The best part about it, if it ever does fail the truck will not shut down for 10 minutes. Meaning you can always start it again with they key. http://www.bypasskit.com/pldata.asp

Spartus
11-08-2003, 00:53
Thanks, I appreciate the link... I'll give the info to my installer... You are correct in the temperature causing an issue though... It's been cooler lately, and now I'm having issues... I don't have chips in my keys though... I can take any spare keys and use them to start the drive and drive around, so I'm rather confused as to WHAT the security system in the truck actually does.

saywhat
11-08-2003, 05:01
Spartus is correct about the key,I had a spare key made up for mine at the dealership and broke the plastic off so it would fit in my wallet and it works to unlock the doors and start the engine.

Max Power
11-08-2003, 13:48
Kinda hard to explain. In the ignition there is a hall effect sensor. This hall effect senser gets a reading of the key. It coverts the reading to a certain resistance. If the truck doesn't see the proper resistance It won't start and goes into a shut down mode. The typical way to bypass this system for a remote starter is to send the proper resistance to the computer. Therefor the truck thinks that it is getting the proper hall effect reading and allows the truck to start. The hall effect is determined by the cuts in the key. Each differently cut key will provide a different reading. Yes the keys can be copied but if someone tries to start the truck with a screwdriver or by hotwiring, it will not start.

txguppy
11-16-2003, 18:00
For Max Power. I too have issues with my remote start/passlock systems. I frequently get the "Security" message pop-up. Usually when placing in gear after startup. Also, I get the message when driving down the road. Could something be wrong with my passlock, if so how can I isolate it. The installer disabled my remote start feature to see if the light still comes on; if not, then he will install that passlock bypass module thingy.

Also, my engine does not shut off in gear when turning the key out of the run position. Is this normal?

Any insight will be helpful, Thanx,

Larry

Max Power
11-17-2003, 10:35
99% chance it is an issue with the remote starter bypass. I would highly recommend that you get your installer to switch the bypass kit over to a PLDATA like I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Spartus
11-21-2003, 23:21
Recently the last time My PASSLOCK screwed me, I removed the PASSLOCK fuse in the fuse box.. I was able to start the truck and drive it.. But it seemed to go into limp mode. I then put the fuse back in, and was able to start the truck normally...

I wonder if GM can disable the PASSLOCK with their handhelds...?????????????

Max Power
11-22-2003, 08:42
I wouldn't disable it. Just get a proper bypass like a PLdata and be done with it. Seriously out of 1000's of remote start installs with the PLdata we have had 0 failures. There is no reason for you to ever even notice that your truck has passlock.

Minn-kota
11-23-2003, 15:41
What is the price on a unit like that for a typcial GM car?

Raul Vega
10-21-2005, 17:00
Originally posted by Minn-kota:
What is the price on a unit like that for a typcial GM car? Now do you know how much that system PLdata?

regards

jbplock
10-22-2005, 00:25
Raul,

Try the following site for more information on PLdata ...

http://bypasskit.com/categories.aspx?catid=3

smile.gif