PDA

View Full Version : warming up

max out
11-05-2003, 20:48
Is there anyway to get these diesel's to warm up faster? I let it idle for about 10 mins before leaving work and in my 8 mile trip home it never gets close to normal temp, and it's only low 40's

Camstyn
11-06-2003, 00:56
FWIW, it's not recommended to let it idle for 10 minutes after a cold start. These things don't warm up idling. The best thing you can do is let it idle for 30-60 seconds and then drive it really nice-like until it's at a reasonable temperature. I wait until it's at the quarter-mark on the gauge before I resume normal driving habits. It usually takes ~10 minutes of driving to get to that temperature. You can install a high idle switch if you want it to warm up better in the driveway, but it's just going to rattle away and stay cold out there the way it is now.

Camstyn
11-06-2003, 00:57
PS, have your defrost on and air conditioning switched on and it will make it warm up a wee bit quicker than normal, or so I'm told. I don't know if it really makes a noticeable difference but theoretically it should work.

Trip
11-06-2003, 05:12
IMHO - Any additional load at start up, or any extended high idling when cold may cause premature wear as engine parts have not expanded to operating temps. Cold parts with increased tolerances under a load may promote additional wear over the long run.

ratlover
11-06-2003, 05:56
Plug it in. A cold front also helps. I always have my air on when i am trying to warm her up, dont know if it helps or not.....if it makes any difference its probably only a degree or 2 but oh well, at least my compressor gets ran durring the cold months.

Gota have a load on her to warm her up, I let mine idle till the glowplugs go off(when your voltguage goes back to normal)Then pussy foot away till the oil pressure is about normal hot and then drive kinda normal soft but wait till everything(trany included) is up to temp before I flog it. I try to get her fairly worm before I hit the highway too. Might not be right but its what I do smile.gif

Kennedy
11-06-2003, 06:34
My truck sees a LOT of idle time in winter. Getting about time to pop my Lund SS cold front in too.

If you want heat, add an exhaust brake and dial back the pressure. This will take 150-200

James S
11-06-2003, 10:45
Hey There!

If high idle is not good, WHY THE HELL DID I PAY THE DEALER FOUR-HUNDRED BUCKS TO PUT THE DAMN SWITCH IN?!!!!!!!!!!! I want to aid the truck, not hurt it!!!!!!!! Please explain this, because if it is bad, I will take it back to the dealer and demand my money back. I wait anxiously for your replies.

James
:mad:

Kennedy
11-06-2003, 11:25
I use it, and it does help. It is particularly useful in summer with the AC and for a cool down after a hard run.

In winter I use it at 1100 RPM as if I don't, it will often cool down. The Exhaust brake works better yet, BUT the loud hissing in the pipe gets a lot of funny looks...

James S
11-06-2003, 12:09
Hey John,

Thanks for the explanation. THen why are people saying it is not good to run it in the morning upon first start up. I don't understand how it will cause ware from the cold metals moving. When should I use i, after I have driven for a while? I would think it would be good to let the truck run with high idle for five or ten minutes BEFOR driving. Can you please clarify this? Thanks again.

James
:confused:

Kennedy
11-06-2003, 15:42
Originally posted by James S:
Hey There!

If high idle is not good, WHY THE HELL DID I PAY THE DEALER FOUR-HUNDRED BUCKS TO PUT THE DAMN SWITCH IN?!!!!!!!!!!! I want to aid the truck, not hurt it!!!!!!!! Please explain this, because if it is bad, I will take it back to the dealer and demand my money back. I wait anxiously for your replies.

James
:mad: I seriously hope you didn't pay $400...

tysmith
11-06-2003, 16:57
Yeah, really. About $10 and an hour or two, with money left to buy coffee...

Ty

BlueOx03
11-06-2003, 18:13
....and a truck payment....

James S
11-06-2003, 20:18
Hey There,

My apologies! My TOTAL bill was four-hundred. My high idle install charge, was 175. Sorry for the confusion. I had bought some fluids as well. So, why isn't it good to run in the morning, upon initial start up?? I would think it would benefit the truck. What's this about ware on metal components. If it will hurt the truck, I will take it back and ask for a refund.

:( redface.gif James

Trip
11-07-2003, 05:25
JamesS
I believe you have to be very careful in the methods you use to warm up your truck. The key word is "may" cause excessive wear. It is a juggling act to get it warm but at the same time be consious of undue wear on cold components. Everyone's situation and climate are different.

Kennedy
11-07-2003, 06:28
I use mine, BUT I run at 1000 and 1100 RPM max...

Allowing 3-5 minutes for things to "normalize" is a good idea, as is plugging in with block or better yet oil pan heater.

James S
11-07-2003, 08:34
Hey John Kennedy, and everyone else

So, it is okay to use high idle for up to five minutes upon initial start up in the morning, as well as, the block, AND an oil pan heater??? Can I use my cold front on top of all those, with high idle on? Thanks for all this clarification.

James
redface.gif

Kennedy
11-09-2003, 07:45
I start my truck with my remote start frequently. I have the timer bunmped to 24 minutes, and it frequently shuts down waiting for me (held up on the phone) so I restart it. I'm notafraid to idle my Dmax.

My preference is:

Start truck, and let run 3-5 minutes MINIMUM when cold. THEN I will hit the fast idle or exhaust brake, but my preference is to let things normalize for a few minutes before loading or increasing RPM.

Even parked in the shop at 62

Burner
11-09-2003, 10:19
I had often wondered about "cold starts" in the winter time. :rolleyes:

Thanks John!

Burner------> :D